The Financial Planning Analyst is responsible for developing, maintaining, and executing the financial planning infrastructure supporting the Merchandising teams. This role will operate as a corporate planner providing planning/budgeting support for all merchandise planners and the planning leadership team. Generates approaches to analyze and present complex business processes in order to drive actionable results that improve profit, ROA and shareholder value. Role serves as a strategic partner to areas including Pricing, Visual Merchandising, Finance, Inventory Management, Marketing, Stores, and IT.Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide weekly management reporting that provides insight, recommendations, and drives action and efficiencies for Monday morning leadership meetings for staff and performance updates.
- Drive consistency and integrity in the planning process through the use of common tools and top-down analysis
- Oversee merchandise planning calendar; manage exceptions and ensure all milestones are completed in a timely manner by communicating to leadership in each category.
- Assess the quality of the merchandise plan through pre- and post-Financial Review diagnostics
- Influence the assortment plans through diagnostic assessment and assortment analysis; identify alignment issues and report to the planning team for resolution
- Oversee and report on the company’s markdown reserve allowances and co-op and communicate to senior leadership.
- Analyze and report promotions across divisional lines – provide a total company perspective including both the Consumables and Discretionary divisions
- Responsible for all templates and materials used by Planning – including Financial Reviews, Assortment Reviews, Category Strategic Reviews, Open-to-Buy and Seasonal reporting
- Look for opportunities to leverage the Pro 3 system to improve accuracy for forecasted promotions; ensure planners are using the tool consistency and taking advantage of best practices
- Partner with Marketing to ensure all tests have consistency and integrity; ensure that test involve meaningful strategies that will impact the total company
- Create and maintain templates, methods and best practices used by Merchandise Financial Planning have integrity and produce consistent results.
- Partner with external software vendors to resolve any systemic performance issues and request new functionality
- Develop, design and facilitate training on new templates and processes for planning team to execute consistently on best practices and efficiencies.
- Assist with monthly financial inputs; represent the planning team in discussions with various teams that utilize this data (finance/supply chain/inventory)
- Manage daily sales forecast at the total company level; utilize historical data and reflect daily/weekly shifts to ensure accuracy
- Other duties as assigned.
Regular working hours, 40 hours per week minimum, office environmentMinimum Requirements:
Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university preferred; advanced degree a plus
Experience: Four or more years of related experience in an analyst or planner role; strong analytical background with experience in a financial environment; thorough understanding of assortment metrics, data analytics, diagnostic tools and the retail accounting environment; experience with the retail product lifecycle, from initial concepts to exit strategies.
Job Related Skills: Well-developed written and verbal communication skills including the ability to present complex material in an organized and compelling manner; ability to influence and negotiate at a variety of levels; strong problem-solving and decision-making skill set; advanced knowledge of data warehouse systems, proven project and workload management skills.
Computer Skills: Well-versed in planning systems as well as advanced Microsoft Windows applications; experience with SAS and MicroStrategy preferred.