Visual Data Specialist
CoStar is seeking an experienced Visual Data Specialist to help illustrate CoStar's biggest news stories and deliver stand-alone charts and infographic analysis of the latest trends to our large audience of real estate deal-makers through the US and Canada.
- Source and develop insightful visual content from internal and external data sources and tell data-driven stories in an engaging, explanatory, easily absorbed, and accurately portrayed manner
- Working closely with the creative director, collaborate and coordinate coverage with CoStar’s News Team and market analysts to develop story ideas, and enrich the articles with interactive features delivering innovative web experiences
- Work directly with analysts to develop story ideas, find additional data points and offer insight into better ways to reach story objectives
- Understand and follow user experience design processes, standards, and best practices
- Monitor major industry trends, leaders and companies, including news and social channels, for inspiration and industry relevance.
- Participate in usability testing
- Participate in design review sessions, explain design concepts and decisions
- PortfolioLinks are required to send along with resume
Skills and qualifications:
- A high degree of curiosity, interaction design and problem-solving abilities
- Experience with R and/or Python for data analysis
- Experience with ESRI, QGis, Topojson and other mapping tools
- Ability to communicate complex ideas and coherently “speak data” to a wide range of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to grasp and convert complex data into compelling and intuitive user interfaces.
- Ability to partner and communicate with Product Development Engineers.
- Some experience in visual or graphic design using tools like Sketch, Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, or equivalent
- Experience in this or related field and a formal education in Interaction Design, Motion Graphics, Product Design, Industrial Design, HCI, or related field is desirable but not required.
- Expertise with Plotly /Datawrapper/FusionCharts/ Highcharts/Tableau or similar
- Strong ability to support multiple development activities concurrently.
- Prior experience and/or demonstrated interest in journalism through work experience or extracurricular activities
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Interest in commercial real estate markets, companies and economies
So why work for CoStar Group?
Our culture of innovation and excellence attracts and encourages the best and brightest in a broad range of disciplines, which makes CoStar a fun and supportive place to work. CoStar Group’s benefits plan ranked among the top 10% of employers nationwide. Besides generous pay and performance-based incentives, the company also provides a 401(k) with company match. We support our employees’ professional and academic growth with internal training and tuition reimbursement.
With a state of the art in-house gym and healthy snacks in every kitchen, we were recently recognized by the Alliance for Workplace Excellence with their Seal of Workplace Excellence and their Health & Wellness Trailblazers award. Our 10-point commuter assistance program, which resulted in traveling 4.8 million fewer vehicle miles and saving 242,000 gallons of gasoline per year, also recently won the Commuter Connections Incentive Award!
At CoStar Group we believe in working hard and playing hard. While we take our work seriously, we make plenty of time for fun. Join the team and check out our fleet of loaner bicycles and Segways to take a break. Give back to the community and participate in the CoStar Builds service program. Restore and rejuvenate with onsite yoga classes or in our state of the art gym.
CoStar Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; we maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
CoStar Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; we maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing
Cascading Style Sheets (Css)
Java Script Libraries
User Experience Design (Ux)
Motion Graphic Design