Visual Information Journalist
CoStar is seeking an experienced Visual Information Journalist to help illustrate CoStar's biggest news stories and also deliver stand-alone infographic data analysis of the latest industry trends. This position is both technical and research/journalistic: working closely with the creative director, you will collaborate and coordinate coverage with news editors, analysts and developers to pitch story ideas, and enrich articles with interactive features delivering innovative web experiences. In addition to your coding skills, we are looking for interest in diverse news areas, including building industry, technology, legislation, housing issues, health care, economics, retail trends and environment. You might be asked to use data to map areas affected by extreme-weather, to illustrate retail trends, or the popularity of cities using data from CoStar analysis and elsewhere. As part of our news team, you will create work that pushes the boundaries of data storytelling and contributes to the world-class reporting.
- Source data and/or work directly with analysts to develop story ideas and create engaging, explanatory, easily absorbed data visualizations based on your reporting and research.
- Develop data interactives to publish on costar.com and associated news app platform
- Take stories from pitch to publication assist other team members with data research for graphics such as generating maps
- Understand and follow user experience design processes and adhere to
- standards of engineering best practices.
- Monitor major industry trends, leaders and companies, including news and
social channels, for inspiration and industry relevance.
- Adhere to CoStar’s visual-style guide
- Research and learn new languages or technologies as needed.
- Portfolio Links are required to send along with resume
Skills and qualifications:
- A high degree of curiosity, interaction design and problem-solving abilities
- At least two years of experience of hands-on reporting and building data visualizations.
- Experience in sourcing and cleaning data
- Capable in R and/or Python programming languages for data analysis
- Ability to visualize complex ideas and coherently “speak data” in a clear manner to a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to partner and communicate with Product Development Engineers.
- Familiarity with Plotly /Datawrapper/FusionCharts/
- Strong ability to support multiple activities concurrently.
- Prior experience and/or demonstrated interest in journalism through work experience or extracurricular activities
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Interest in commercial real estate/building industry, companies and economies
Nice to have experience (but not mandatory) with any of the following:
- Node, D3, Canvas, WebGL, Raphaël, or other rendering or animation libraries
- Highcharts/Tableau or similar
- ESRI, QGis, Topojson and other mapping tools, relational and document-based data stores, such as MySQL or Postgres
- Interest in new storytelling formats, A.R., V.R.
So why work for CoStar Group?
Our culture of innovation and excellence attracts and encourages the best and brightest in a broad range of disciplines, which makes CoStar a fun and supportive place to work. CoStar Group’s benefits plan ranked among the top 10% of employers nationwide. Besides generous pay and performance-based incentives, the company also provides a 401(k) with company match. We support our employees’ professional and academic growth with internal training and tuition reimbursement.
With a state of the art in-house gym and healthy snacks in every kitchen, we were recently recognized by the Alliance for Workplace Excellence with their Seal of Workplace Excellence and their Health & Wellness Trailblazers award. Our 10-point commuter assistance program, which resulted in traveling 4.8 million fewer vehicle miles and saving 242,000 gallons of gasoline per year, also recently won the Commuter Connections Incentive Award!
At CoStar Group we believe in working hard and playing hard. While we take our work seriously, we make plenty of time for fun. Join the team and check out our fleet of loaner bicycles and Segways to take a break. Give back to the community and participate in the CoStar Builds service program. Restore and rejuvenate with onsite yoga classes or in our state of the art gym.
CoStar Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; we maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
CoStar Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; we maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing
Cascading Style Sheets (Css)
Java Script (Programming Language)
Hyper Text Markup Language (Html)
Front End (Software Engineering)