For more than 70 years, Jacobs’ engineers, technicians and scientists have provided integrated services to solve the complex and intricate challenges of spaceflight.
Today, Jacobs is NASA’s largest professional and technical services provider and delivers subject matter experts with proven experience in their technical fields who bring innovative solutions to exploration and research programs across nine NASA centers in the United States.
Jacobs is in search of a Fiber Optics Technician in Greenbelt, MD.
THIS POSITION INCLUDES A $2500. SIGNING BONUS
BRIEF OUTLINE OF SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
The Fiber Optics Technician will be responsible for the maintenance and operation of optical equipment and infrastructure in service and research facilities for optical system development and construction, and contribute to optical system characterization, qualification and construction activities.
The Fiber Optics Technician:
- Supports the development of optical based systems that are developed, characterized, qualified and assembled into components, subsystems and systems.
- Responsible for supporting manufacturing, testing and verification of various bench test systems that are used to probe the optical, electrical properties of the system to study their performance.
- Participates in the conception, design and building of laboratory bench tests, jigs and testing fixtures for the characterization of optical based sensors and systems.
- Maintains the equipment inventory, lab supplies and equipment ordering and the lab physical plant and services maintenance. Contribute to the service in communicating with clients, performing measurements and supervising clients using facility equipment or infrastructure.
- Takes part in, prepares and participates in design reviews.
- Diagnoses problems and formulates rework or redesign solutions.
THIS POSITION INCLUDES A $2500. SIGNING BONUS
** PLEASE READ QUALIFICATIONS CAREFULLY **
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, TRAINING, AND /OR SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Higher technical diploma, Associates, Undergrad or Graduate degree from an accredited college in the field of fiber optics, electro-optics, or equivalent.
- A minimum 1 years of experience with fiber optics laboratory test equipment such as light sources including lasers, monochrometers, calibrated detector systems, and electronic support and test equipment.
- Demonstrated experience in rresolving repairing and installing fiber optics systems and ensure that they work properly.
- Experience examining and replacing faulty and old fiber optic cables and also organize scheduled maintenance routines.
- Maintain and care of fiber splicing and rectify fiber optic problem areas.
- Develop sensor indicators and conduct timely inspections to make sure that faulty fiber optic system does not destabilize its performance.
- Execute instrumentation cabling and take care of the laboratory, non-flight and flight hardware optical cabling requirements.
- Be able to test, measure and track of the signal strength of different devices such as laboratory test equipment and DUT optical performance.
- Formulate and maintain system records and system designs.
- The technical competencies required for this position are a demonstrated experience with testing including maintenance and operation.
- Technical experience with the Installation and dismantling of optical equipment and optical test equipment.
- Experience working in a fast paced facility engineering environment.
- Experience as work place safety officer or other safety roles would be an advantage.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
Unusual or Special Physical Requirements of Position
Description of Work Environment (50% of time or required as needed)
- The work place will be a typical Office environment or Electronics Laboratory
Equipment and Machines Involved in Work Tasks
- Various laboratory test equipment i.e. (DMM, PS, Oscilloscope, Power Meter, Ampere meters, Ampere probes, etc. etc.)
Criticality of Attendance
- Necessity for regular attendance required
Other Essential Functions
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Carry out detector calibration and performance tests, develop test fixtures, setup test hardware, prepare flight hardware for testing, and perform testing and test data analysis and test report writing.
- Must be well acquainted with critical space hardware cleanliness requirements and contamination control in the handling and protection of detector devices and subsystems in clean room and laminar flow bench environments, and be ESD cognizant, trained and certified to handle flight hardware.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), age, medical condition, marital or domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression and transgender status, mental disability or physical disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, citizenship, low-income status or any other status or characteristic protected by applicable law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws
and [ Link removed ] .
- Industrial Laser Tasking
- Infrastructure Management