Position Open: November 9, 2021
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through website at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Bridge Engineering Student.
When you come to work for Clark Nexsen, you’ll experience a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment where imaginative thinking is encouraged and supported. We are a national, transdisciplinary architecture, engineering, and consulting firm, but we believe that our role in making the world better is not limited to design. Our vision and values drive our culture, our work, and our commitment to giving back to our communities through volunteerism and charitable giving.
With 11 offices spanning Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Texas, our people shape the future by discovering opportunities to transform the way we live in and experience our world. We believe the best ideas come from collaboration, working across disciplines to inspire innovation and deliver high-performing projects for U.S. and global clients.
We seek to hire a Bridge Engineering Student in our Roanoke, VA office starting in Summer 2022 who will perform various tasks within the bridge department that may entail special project assignments and/or active involvement in bridge safety inspection projects.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Participate in field inspections to include bridge safety inspections and structural condition assessments, and prepare bridge safety inspection reports
- Working closely with bridge engineers to develop a thorough understanding of the fundamentals of structural behavior
- Performing basic-level tasks associated with the calculation of bridge live load ratings under the direction of licensed bridge engineers
- Performing various aspects of bridge design as directed by a licensed bridge engineer including conceptual studies, program requirements, design analyses, calculations, systems selection and layout for bridge design
- Complying with quality control policies and procedures
- Learn and implement department and company standards
- Develop analysis and design skills
- Participating in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Project Managers, Design Managers, Senior Engineers, Engineers
Currently enrolled as a full-time student in an ABET accredited program and have completed at least their first year of study in one of the following disciplines:
- Civil Engineering (structural emphasis)
- Civil and Environmental Engineering (structural emphasis)
- Civil Engineering Technology (structural emphasis)
Should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, and information management.
Working familiarity with design and production software including but not limited to Microsoft Excel and Access, AASHTOWare BrR, and Microstation, to a point of being able to utilize the software in the development of project documents and interact with other project team members in their use of the software is highly desirable.
One previous engineering internship or have relevant work experience is preferred
- Ability to arrange housing for the period of employment
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents
- Possess technical precision and creative design skills
- Display abilities to work well with others in a team environment
- Higher Order Thinking