WGME CBS 13/WPFO FOX 23 in Portland, Maine is a trusted brand providing Maine viewers with local news, weather, sports, entertainment, and social media content. We help grow the most talented people in television. You have the opportunity to work with a team filled with spirit, passion and imagination. We currently have an exciting opportunity for an aggressive, energetic and creative part time News Desk Assistant to support our newsroom on its daily operations.
Your responsibilities include:
- Gather news affecting the community; read local newspapers, news wires and the internet to know stories and updates at all times
- Assist in the efficient operation of the assignment desk
- Generate and develop news stories
- Monitor police, fire and other scanners; make calls to various public safety agencies and other news makers for possible news story leads
- Update daily news coverage rundown, assigning reporters by various specialties, where applicable, to the coverage of stories
- Update station website. Seek out and post video material to website, when needed
- Maintain communication links with reporting staff and continue to follow news developments
- Other duties as assigned
- This position reports to the Assistant News Director
- A high school degree is required
- The ability to work with a multitude of people and personalities, while maintaining a professional work environment
- The ability to work in a fast-paced team environment with various levels of staff
- Experience in the broadcast industry a plus!
- Have sharp television news judgement and be able to monitor various platforms for breaking news and story ideas; scanners, viewer tips, phone calls, social media sources and other local and national news sources
- Must be forward thinker to assist in planning for future events
- Computer and word processing skills
- Excellent communication skills
Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace!
Make your mark in Media with Sinclair Broadcast Group, a diversified media company dedicated to connecting people with content everywhere! We have consistently led the broadcast industry since our inception, and now Sinclair owns the largest regional sports network business and one of the largest television broadcast portfolios in the country. In addition, we have affiliations with all of the major broadcast networks, own Tennis Channel, and several multicast networks including TBD and Comet. Our content is distributed over-the-air, on multi-video providers, and through our industry-leading digital media platforms. We also recently launched a free TV streaming service called STIRR. Our success is the direct result of our extraordinary employees and management team who believe in our vision and are dedicated to ensuring a great future for our employees. We are advancing the world of Media and want YOU to join our winning team!
About the Team
The life-blood of our organization is our people. We have a compelling story, a goal-oriented culture, and we take really good care of people. How good? Here is a glimpse: great benefits, open door policy, upward mobility and a strong desire to see you succeed. Ready to be part of a winning team? Let’s talk.