Working under the direction of the site Environmental Manager, the Environmental Specialist (ES) will be responsible for implementing and maintaining an Environmental Management System (EMS) that includes a myriad of activities and responsibilities pertaining to the effective deployment of environmental programs. The ES will act as a liaison with local, state and federal agencies and customers. The ES will develop and implement programs to ensure regulatory compliance obligations are fulfilled in a cost-effective manner and that environmental risks are effectively managed. Data collection, analysis, and preparation of related environmental reports is a major work activity. Work includes communicating requirements to site employees, contractors, and customers. Specific focus areas include air quality permitting and emissions data management, hazardous materials/waste management, and regulatory submission of reports. Some supervisory responsibilities for work activities conducted by a team of Environmental Technicians Bi-weekly rotation for after hour spill response on nights and weekends. Other related job duties and responsibilities as assigned.Typical Education & Experience
Typically a Bachelor's Degree and 4 years work experience or equivalent experienceRequired Skills and Education
• 4+ years environmental experience in industrial/manufacturing setting, experience with Air Emissions Reporting program for the Shipyard and environmental compliance.
• Must possess above average computer skills including substantial capability in data management using MS Excel
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to discuss/present technical information to junior and senior leadership
• Ability to interact effectively with diverse workforce and customers
• Able to coordinate multiple priorities in fast-paced environment with little oversight or supervision
• DBIDS required for access to DoD facilities
• Valid CA driver's licensePreferred Skills and Education
• Experience with California and San Diego regulatory agencies
• Understanding and knowledge of USCG and CA Fish and Wildlife regulations pertaining to oil spill response
• 24-hour HAZWOPER with current 8 hour refresher certification
• Experience with RCRA and Non-RCRA hazardous waste characterization
• Experience leading teams and projects
• Understanding of ISO14001About BAE Systems Platforms & Services
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Occupational Safety And Health
Environmental Resource Management