DC Office - 655 New York Avenue NW Suite 800
As part of Brookfield Asset Management - one of the largest alternative asset managers in the world - we harness our resources to bring a fresh approach, unparalleled creativity, relentless innovation, and sound ESG practices to the planning, development, and management of buildings everywhere. From offices, retail spaces, and logistics facilities to multifamily residences, hospitality establishments, and mixed-use structures - we are reimagining real estate from the ground up.
We see tomorrow, today. At Brookfield Properties, we're a fully integrated developer so we know what it takes to go from concept to concrete, from blueprint to building. From vision, experience, resources, and ethics, every day we take these ingredients to partner with our communities, collaborating with the places where we work, customizing developments to meet the neighborhoods' specific needs, and identifying the highest and best use for each property to create unique and lasting places that bring people together. Learn more.
If you're ready to be a part of our team, we encourage you to apply.
Reporting to the Director, Development Accounting, the Junior Project Accountant role wil be collaborating, coordinating and engaging with internal functional teams, as well as external companies. This is a conspicuous role which requires timely effective communication skills and critical thinking.
Your Key Deliverables
Support and assist the development accounting team to manage project budgets and the related accounting across multiple projects and properties. Detailed responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Development Accounting and Reporting
* Assist with the review, approval and processing of architect engineers, consultant and other vendors' development contracts, agreements, commitment details and progress invoices
* Process monthly construction manager (CM / GC) requisitions / payment applications for payment
* Support and collaborate with team members, budget owners and project management teams
Financial Accounting / Audit
* Input, process and ensure invoices are recorded correctly in the accounting system
* Assist in processing monthly and quarterly journal entries, calculate monthly accruals and update balance sheet reconciliation / support schedules
* Reconcile management reports with the general ledger
* Prepare bank reconciliations
* Assist with the preparation of detailed year-end reconciliations, analyses and working papers
* Assist with providing supporting documentation and assistance to internal / external auditors, as needed
* Communicate with vendors and maintain vendor information
* Assist with the preparation of monthly loan draw requests and/or capital calls
* Prepare wire transfers to external vendors and intercompany entities
* Assist with debt reporting and analysis required for any refinancing and/or building appraisals
* Assist with preparing monthly and quarterly project reports
* Assist with the preparation of ad hoc analysis or special reporting
* BS/BA degree in accounting or another quantitative field
* Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and/or International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), specifically, real estate
* Strong analytical ability: detail oriented with strong initiative and analytical skills.
* Well organized; self-starter, able to handle multiple priorities
* Ability to work independently or as part of a team in a highly deadline driven environment.
* Advanced proficiency in MS Office, specifically, MS Excel and MS Word
* Candidate should be enthusiastic and motivated to succeed in a collaborative team environment
* Possess excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
Nice to Haves
* Experience with ERP systems (YARDI, MRI etc.) and implementing software applications a plus
* Minimum three years of real estate development or project accounting experience or public accounting preferred
We are proud to offer our employees what they value most:
* Competitive compensation
* Excellent extended health benefits
* 401k matching
* Generous tuition assistance program
* Leadership development and mentorship programs
* Charitable donation matching
* A culture based on our values of Passion, Integrity and Community
Brookfield Properties participates in the E-Verify process to confirm the eligibility of candidates to work in the United States.
We are proud to create a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are grateful for your interest in this position, however, only candidates selected for pre-screening will be contacted.
- Attention To Detail