To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Director, Culinary Americas
Hilton Corporate • US-Nationwide
Posted 1 month ago
Our Operations function oversees the day-to-day functions of our managed hotel portfolio, ensuring that our guests receive an exceptional hospitality experience and that we remain a leader in the hospitality industry.
What will I be doing?
As the Director of Culinary Americas, you will follow the direction and vision of the SVP Food and Beverage and the VP Culinary Americas. The main responsibility of this role is to elevate all culinary related products and experiences by being both the lead and driver of quality, consistency, culinary relevance, recruitment of culinary talent, technical development, and leading and furthering the culinary mission across the Full Service brand portfolio which includes, Embassy Suites, DoubleTree, Hilton and our Luxury & Lifestyle brands.
In this role, you will support the VP Culinary in establishing standards and insuring implementation of those programs to instill efficiencies in both food cost and labor management. You will direct the hotels Heart of House staffing and standards and support the Made in Kitchens movement to increase the energy and sense of community through FOH Studio. In addition, you will be responsible for evaluating, directing and implementing product strategies within all Managed properties in the Americas region, while assisting the VP Culinary in leading the personal development of all culinarians, menu strategies and overall menu development. You will participate in the hiring process of all culinary leadership and lead the opening and transition of new properties.
More specifically, you will:
Planning activities -
- Help develop, execute and direct culinary strategies under the leadership of the VP Culinary for all Managed food areas: restaurants, bars, banquets and Grab & Go.
- Assist in Hilton Supply Management product selection to drive quality and improved food cost.
- Strategize and develop Culinary Support Specialists within regions.
- Assist the direction for sustainability programs with corporate responsibility.
- Assist and coordinate all culinary responsibilities for new openings.
- Assist in the development of the appropriate objectives for the business and directs the methodologies by which those objectives will be accomplished and measured.
- Lead the creative process in all menu development for all brands.
- Partner collaboratively with brands to establish new strategies, programs and concepts.
- Support the kitchen planning process for new projects and remodels.
- Support and protect the integrity of Made in Kitchens movement and video product.
- Utilize FOH Studio to provide education material and energy for our F&B community application.
- Provide support or lead R&D sessions to live by our culture of innovation.
- Organize workshops in collaboration with our partner suppliers to drive on property quality and education.
Organizing activities -
- Build, develop and implement a culinary culture of constant improvement.
- Ensure systems and programs are in place at the hotels to guarantee safe food handling.
- Assist in identification of restaurant and bar operator partners that will improve the visibility of Hilton and maximize financial return.
- Lead and organize staffing and allocation of resources for maximum effectiveness.
- Support third party vendors, agencies and culinary constituents as directed.
- Ensure hotel executive chefs execute against established performance plans.
- Supervise third party partners in developing new, impactful programs as directed.
Directing activities -
- Lead and guide culinary leadership in the properties to deliver upon established culture, goals and business processes.
- Ensure that all menus are written in a matter consistent with the F&B vision of the region.
- Lead the development of culinary projects and delivers results on time and on budget.
- Lead and implement controls, staffing for all Executive Chefs in the Americas.
- Direct and participate in the creation of all Corporate events.
- Lead brands in culinary areas of menu development, interior design, equipment and training plans.
- Drive sense of place through regional and seasonal product selections and menu recommendations.
- Question and re-invent operation standards for buffet presentations.
- Promote the positioning of chefs and our culinary team as one of the most valuable asset in the company.
- Bring our kitchens into the digital era.
Staffing activities -
- Support the hiring process for all Executive Chefs, Executive Sous Chefs, and Restaurant and Banquet Chefs.
- Support VP Culinary in the final approval of the above after the process has been finalized.
- Constantly evaluate hotel staffing guides for correct staffing against business needs.
- Support and drive mentorship program for young culinary talent.
- Develop and continually foster culinary pipeline of talent to meet staffing needs.
- Lead and foster culinary talent Ambassadors in career development.
- Engage in our culinary/F&B competition.
Controlling activities -
- Direct and implement proper culinary controls on each individual outlet, analyze the competitive market customer needs and financial opportunities and figure out whether the outlet has: potential for re-conception; a need for improved operating standards; or the necessity of being closed.
- Help translate organizational goals and objectives into performance standards for division, departments and individual positions.
- Assess actual performance against standards to figure out if the department is on target to reach its goals and takes corrective actions as necessary.
- Ensure business plan and goals are being followed and achieved, providing feedback or revising the plan, if needed.
- Help establish and carry out policies and procedures that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the company.
- Develop new operation standards as needed to support consistency in services.
- Monitor ROI on both capital and time resources.
- Review and make appropriate adjustments in activities and expenses throughout the fiscal year to ensure optimal financial results.
- Drive Key Ingredient compliance by inspiring usage.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely settled by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the company:
- Travel to conduct on-site property evaluations and development.
- Represent and participate in industry tradeshows, events or internal meetings, as requested.
- Generate and disseminate comprehensive documentation of property evaluations.
- Provide follow up and monitoring of properties continuous improvement processes.
We believe the success in this position will demonstrate itself through the following attributes and skills:
- Ability to direct collaborative efforts of direct reports and possibly other resources throughout the Hilton organization, possibly including internal resources, external resources and other constituent groups as appropriate with aim of furthering Company goals
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills, as well as excellent written communication skills
- Ability to analyze departmental financial data as required in order to make strategic and tactical decisions, including the ability to read, understand and interpret P&L statements
- Ability to handle change, resolve conflicts and ensure a collaborative environment within teams and/or units while maintaining the highest standards of ethical conduct and integrity
- Discretion and confidentiality regarding sensitive information
- Ability to take initiative to identify, prioritize and implement all elements required for the team to fulfill responsibilities in keeping with core strategic goals and provide helpful feedback
- Ability to assimilate new concepts and practices into position and the department and provide effective training to subordinates for on-the-job training, policies and procedures and professional development
- Budget development and management skills, including the ability to track expenses against commitments, set priorities for funding, and develop annual budgets
- Highly developed leadership qualities and skilled in the management of personnel, budget, forecasting, inter-departmental liaison and communication
- Thorough knowledge of the hotel industry in general with specific knowledge of restaurant development procedures and a clear understanding of the purpose and function of all hotel departments, especially Food & Beverage
- Strong verbal and written communication, including the ability to formulate memos, letters, programs, numerous technical requests as well as articulate clear and concise information to clients and fellow team members
- Possess a good conceptual understanding and practical application of various types of equipment (e.g., Visual projectors, microphones, applicable computer software programs, portable radios, pagers and telephones)
- Ability to create, write and develop menus and recipe costing
To fulfill this role successfully, you should demonstrate the following minimum qualifications:
- Seven (7) years in hospitality (F&B, Catering or similar discipline)
- Three (3) years in an Executive Chef or convention center operations management position
- Two (2) years of business development experience
- Advanced culinary certification
- Travel - 75% of the time
It would be helpful in this position for you to demonstrate the following capabilities and distinctions:
- BA/BS Bachelor's Degree
- Four (4) years in non-hotel or restaurant based culinary development (e.g., Food, menus, or product)
- Experience with negotiating deals and global luxury hotel experience
- Bilingual – English and Spanish (written and verbal)
Hilton is the world's leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities, and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!