Fulgent is a leader in genetic and genomic clinical testing, a publicly traded company located in Los Angeles, California. We are a technology-driven company with extensive academic/clinical experience and capabilities in Next Generation Sequencing and bioinformatics. This distinction has advanced us to the forefront of the rapidly advancing genetic and genomic testing industry.
Fulgent's unique chemistries and superior proprietary bioinformatics pipeline have propelled our explosive growth in recent years. We offer the most expansive set of clinical genetic tests in the world, including 22,000+ single gene tests, 900+ preset panels, rearrangement testing, clinical exome/trios, whole exome/trios, whole genome, and our All-in-One reflex test. We are a CLIA and CAP-accredited laboratory. Fulgent has state-of-the-art clinical, sequencing and bioinformatics tools, including the latest Illumina sequencers such as the NovaSeq.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
This is the first step of the Genetic Curation Scientist career track. The Genetic Curation Scientist (GCS) Step 1 will be responsible for the research, investigation, and classification of genetic variants using a combination of our internal proprietary software, published scientific literature, and publicly available databases. GCS will determine the pathogenicity of DNA sequence variants found real-time in patients and will customize clinical report text in collaboration with laboratory directors and genetic counselors. GCS are also responsible for quality control, technical assessment, copy number analysis, and other interpretive components of molecular diagnostics as outlined in curation standard operating procedures.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
- Perform quality control assessment for Next Generation Sequencing and other molecular diagnostic assays.
- Classify detected variants according to internal and professional guidelines.
- Draft clinical lab reports according to internal and professional standards; reports will be submitted to a laboratory director for final review and sign-out.
- Review literature and databases to evaluate gene-disease association.
- Review and update genetic variations based on new information.
- Support the Client Services Department and Laboratory Genetic Counselors to respond to client requests for information on the interpretation of variants.
- Participate in research & development projects as they arise.
KNOWLEDGE / EXPERIENCE:
- Proven ability to critically read and interpret scientific literature.
- Strong computer, scientific, and organizational skills.
- Outstanding attention to detail and efficient work habits.
- Excellent communication (oral and written).
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team with self-motivation, adaptability, and a positive attitude.
- Ability to learn new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, keep accurate records, follow instructions, and comply with company policies.
- Ph.D. in Human Genetics or an appropriately-related field strongly preferred
- Masters of Genetic Counseling with strong molecular genetics background or previous DNA sequencing reporting experience will be considered
- Familiarity with Mendelian genetics and a thorough knowledge of molecular genetics.
- 1 year of clinical experience in carrier testing and familiarity with ACMG guidelines for hereditary rare disease
- Ability to review BAM (Alamut, IGV, etc), sanger raw data, QPCR, MLPA, NGS, UMIs, and ctDNA related technologies
- Laboratory Director or Chief Science Officer
Fulgent Therapeutics LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position.
Safety and Work Environment:
• General office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Maintains a clean, neat, and orderly work area.
• Adheres to Department Specific Safety Guidelines.
• Standing, sitting, walking, bending, reaching, manual manipulation, and lifting up to 10 pounds.
- Docking (Molecular)
- Computational Biology