Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Senior Data Analyst will work with claims data, electronic health record data, and other sources of healthcare data. The SDA is responsible for claims data extraction, data cleaning, merging data from multiple files, applying product specific inclusion and exclusion criteria, coding product specific variables, and producing various analytic datasets and descriptive analyses for statistician to use and review. In addition, the position is responsible for data processing and analysis for Symmetry product development.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Responsibility for processing healthcare claims data from multiple sources using SAS (UNIX or PC)
- Extracting and programming required variables per specifications provided by a statistician
- Producing various analytic datasets and descriptive analyses for statistician to use and review
- Execute quality control processes to maintain and improve product standards
- Communicating with Statistician and Product Lead about issues in programming and providing solutions to the issues
- Contribute to identification of solutions and alternatives when unanticipated challenges occur in the course of a project
- Research data issues and identify root causes of reported issues; will require understanding of overall product development and lifecycle
- Investigation and application of new SAS programming methods/techniques to enhance current systems and standard programming procedures
- Creating data dictionaries
- Complete project programming documentation according to department standards
- Participate on cross-functional project teams and deliver analytic files/analytics according to project schedule
- Mentoring new employees on applications used by the department (e.g. DeCide, Ultra Edit, SAS, etc)
- Collaborate with IT and business units
- Monitor and communicate status of assignments and request assistance as needed
- Apply understanding of healthcare analytics to estimate project activities, steps, and timing
- Support project plans by establishing timeframes/deliverables/resources for each stage of the analysis process
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Master's or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Healthcare Informatics, or technical certification in programming OR a post-secondary degree AND 7+ years of commensurate big data analysis experience
- 3+ years of experience in a UNIX and/or PC SAS environment, and an understanding of complex database structures
- 3+ years of experience with Excel
- 3+ years of experience with administrative claims and/or clinical data accessed via a large data warehouse environment
- Experience with SQL
- Proficiency with MS Office suite (including Excel, Access, Word, and PowerPoint)
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- 1+ years of experience with claims episode grouping and/or predictive modeling software - with experience using Symmetry analytic products (ETG/ERG/PEG)
- Experience using claims and/or clinical data in applications such as: risk identification and stratification, cost and utilization reporting, provider measurement, trending, benchmarking, population health and care coordination, quality measurement or clinical outcomes
- Proficiency with R, Python and/or other statistical programs or interest in learning other statistical languages
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills, with attention to detail
- Solid mentoring skills
- Self-assured, self-motivated and results oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent collaboration and customer service skills
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world’s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $82,100 to $146,900. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $90,500 to $161,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.