Is the candidate required to be a U.S. Citizen? YES
Is a clearance required for this role? No
How many hours a week will the contractor work? 40
Top 3 criteria/must haves for the position? Molecular biology skills, cloning, virology, egg work and Next Generation Sequencing experience preferred
Are there any technologies that candidates absolutely have to have experience with? Molecular bench techniques
What will the interview process look like? Phone screen then in-person interview with team members
Will you hire off of the phone or Skype if the candidate is not local but willing to relocate for the job? Maybe
What is the timeline for hire? ASAP
Why are the positions open? Additional hands needed, increased workflow
Do you have any upcoming time out of office? If so, please state the dates. No
Is this an exempt or non-exempt role? Will be exempt
Is this a temp to perm opportunity? Yes
ISS is working with HHS/CDC which is responsible for pandemic influenza preparedness The CDC ID provides critical standards for pandemic preparedness to the US State Public Health Laboratories and acts as a World Health Organization (WHO) reference laboratory supporting international influenza surveillance and response networks. Rapid genetic and antigenic characterization of circulating viral strains coupled with vaccine development are essential components to increase pandemic readiness and response. CDC requires support in research and development efforts to eliminate data gaps in influenza surveillance by increasing the diagnostic and immunization tools available to clinical providers, public health laboratories and domestic and international partners. Monitoring influenza viruses through the application of molecular technologies and incorporation of laboratory surveillance with classic epidemiology facilitate detection of new epidemic variants and provide complete and accurate information about influenza viruses posing a pandemic threat. The use of viral molecular technologies and surveillance studies will provide candidate viruses for pre-pandemic and pandemic vaccine development to assist decision makers in formulating management strategies needed during influenza outbreaks, epidemics or pandemic.
The position is located in West Jefferson OH.
ISS is seeking a molecular virologist to join a team focused on influenza vaccine research and development. The successful candidate will play a critical role in the development of new approaches to generate influenza candidate vaccine viruses in compliance with good laboratory practice (GLP) regulatory requirements. The incumbent will perform virological and functional characterization of vaccine viruses from cell culture or eggs. The applicant must be highly motivated with strong expertise in molecular/cellular virology. Experience working in Biosafety Level 3 environments is highly desirable.
• Rescue, propagation and characterization of influenza viruses in compliance with good laboratory practice (GLP) guideline.
• Cloning and mutagenesis of influenza genes in various plasmid vectors.
• Virus purification from cell culture or eggs by sucrose gradient ultracentrifugation.
• Biochemical/biophysical analysis of virus particles and virus antigen quantification.
• Develop new strategies for improving vaccine virus antigen yield in eggs.
• Maintain proficiency in Biosafety Level 3 laboratory studies
• Meet urgent demands of mitigating emerging influenza viruses with pandemic potential.
• Communicate progress orally and in writing with technical monitor and other researchers.
• Assist the technical monitor with preparation of reports, presentations and papers for publication in scientific journals.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
• BS 0-2 years relevant experience in Virology, Molecular/Cellular Biology, Microbiology, or Biochemistry.
• Demonstrated background in molecular virology/biology; mutagenesis experience preferred.
• Extensive interpersonal and management skills, with ability to work collaboratively with other scientists and laboratorians.
• Meticulous bench working habit, precise record-keeping, and strong organizational and communication skills.
Nesco Resource and affiliates (Lehigh G.I.T Inc, and Callos Resource, LLC) is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics with respect to employment opportunities.