To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Washington, DC
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Chief Copy Editor
CoStar Group • Washington, DC
Posted 22 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
CoStar is seeking an experienced chief copy editor to establish and enforce copy and style guidelines for our fast-growing news team.
CoStar has served as a respected source of news for the commercial real estate industry for more than two decades. Our award-winning coverage informs subscribers and complements CoStar’s role as the industry’s leading source of commercial real estate information and data. Fortune Magazine recently named CoStar Group one of the top 100 fastest-growing companies in the world.
CoStar is now expanding our news platform by adding positions and resources to take our news service to the next level. As chief copy editor, you will draw on your extensive journalism background and copy-editing experience to establish best practices and direct a team to ensure our coverage conforms to CoStar's news standards and is ready for publication. This position will be based in our Washington, D.C. headquarters.
This is a great opportunity for an experienced, detail-oriented and highly organized copy editor to make a mark and play a key role in shaping an ambitious, international news operation.
• Oversee the work of a fast-paced copy desk that is producing daily stories for CoStar’s online website, email newsletters and other formats, ensuring typographical and grammatical accuracy, adherence to style guidelines, and consistency across formats.
• Establish and maintain a CoStar stylebook for news.
• Ensure that headlines are engaging, photo captions are lively and news articles are free of spelling, grammar, punctuation and factual errors.
• Collaborate and communicate with team members to ensure news production goals are being met being met, while maintaining quality control.
• Work with reporters to offer comments and suggestions to improve their news articles and strengthen their abilities.
Skills and Qualifications:
•Proven copy-editing experience, preferably for a daily or weekly business publication with extensive experience in a copy-editing or proofreading role (min. three years.)
•Exceptional grammar skills and a ferocious attention to detail with an obsession for improving readability of copy.
•Results oriented – with proven ability to prioritize, drive and achieve results through self and others while working to deadlines under pressure.
•B2B media experience preferred.
•Excellent headline and photo caption-writing skills, with a command of AP Style and a deep knowledge of SEO best practices.
•Ability to work within a team collaborative environment and manage both up and down management chain.
•Basic knowledge of HTML and social media.
•Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, English or a related discipline.
CoStar Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; we maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing