[ Overview ]
Supporting our outstanding nursing team, the Surge RN will be responsible for admissions, discharges, and patient education during peak hours. We are looking for a BSN prepared nurse with acute care bedside experience to work four hour blocks, between the hours of 4pm and 11pm on weekdays. Some flexibility within these blocks.
Performs a complete admission assessment for all admissions except LDRP, pediatric, critical care, step down, and psychiatric admissions.
Expedites bed assignments in conjunction with the ED charge nurse and the nursing units. Discharges patients, providing education, instruction, and related documentation.
[ Responsibilities ]
[ Qualifications ]
- Provides considerate respectful care focused upon the patient’s individual needs to ensure patient satisfaction.
- Affirms the patient’s right to make decisions regarding his/her medical care, including the decision to discontinue treatment, to the extent permitted by law.
- Demonstrates the ability to obtain information and interpret information in terms of the needs of the age of the patients cared for.
- Demonstrates knowledge of growth, development and/or adult health throughout the life span as appropriate to the job performed.
- Successfully completes life-span education as appropriate.
- Demonstrates/verbalizes an understanding of patient rights regarding confidentiality as it pertains to HIPAA regulations including but not limited to: telephone conversations, patient records, clinical information systems, and faxing documents.
- Assists the patient in the exercise of his/her rights and informs the patient of any responsibilities incumbent upon him/her in the exercise of those rights.
- Recognizes changes in patient condition and/or emergencies situations and takes immediate and appropriate actions.
- Participates in unit conferences to discuss quality issues and quality improvement strategies.
- Delegates components of care to non-professional caregivers as appropriate. Follows up on any delegated components of care and assignments given.
- Make decisions that demonstrate knowledge of nursing practice; utilizes sound nursing judgment in clinical and patient care management situations.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills in the care of patients and in the coordination of care to assure the best patient outcomes.
- After the admission process is complete, ensures that the admission ID band is on the patient.
- Collects medication list from patient, pharmacies, nursing homes and other outside agencies.
- Consistently includes patient and family in the medication home list collection process in an effort to create an accurate list.
- After completing the admission assessment, makes appropriate departmental referrals as needed.
- Obtains Advanced Directive, POLST, and vaccine on every admission. Incorporate family/ significant others as necessary.
- Communicates information to the appropriate members of the healthcare team.
- Performs and documents pain assessment. Notify RN and practitioner if necessary.
- Obtains and documents a complete nursing history that is systematic, consistent and continuous on admitted patients in accordance with hospital/nursing policy. This assessment is communicated effectively utilizing Hand-off policy and documented.
- Provides for the protection of self and others by adhering to the unit based safe work practices regarding protective equipment by using proper sharps disposal technique; exercising care and caution working with and around other sharps and following manufacturer’s safety precautions. Works collaboratively with the Infection Control and Occupational Health Department.
- Works collaboratively with the Infection Control Department in providing for the protection of CentraState patients, guests and employees from the spread of infections and diseases. Follows Standard Precautions.
- Administers stat medications following CSHS policies and manufacturer’s instructions and addresses stat orders prior to handing patient off to the primary nurse.
- Evaluates the patient’s needs for discharge and accesses appropriate resources for the patient and/or family.
- Provides discharge instructions and education to patient and documents discharge assessments.
- Facilitates throughput by transporting patients between departments.
Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing preferred.
Related experience preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
- RN license/NJ required.
- BLS certification required.
- ACLS certification to be achieved within First Year then maintained thereafter.
- Successful Completion of Basic Dysrhythmia course to be achieved with First Year.
- CSMC IV Certification to be achieved within First Year.
- Stroke Education requirements to be achieved within First Year then maintained thereafter.
- Specialty professional nursing certification preferred.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Strong professional, organizational, and interpersonal skills to effectively relate with all members of the healthcare team.
[ Physical Demands ]
Works in a normal hospital environment with frequent exposure to sick or injured patients.
Daily potential for exposure to blood and/or body fluids.
Sitting – Rarely
Standing/Walking – Continuously
Kneeling/Stooping – Occasionally
Bending/Climbing – Occasionally
Reaching above shoulder, at waist or below waist – Rarely
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling up to 40 pounds – Occasionally
Lifting/Pushing or Pulling over 40 pounds – Occasionally
Typing/Filing – Frequently
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
[ Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion ]
CentraState Healthcare System prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics such as race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), affectual or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental disability or limitation, medical condition, genetic information, or veteran or military status, as well as any other legally protected class of persons and acts, in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws. #CB
Electronic Medical Record
Arm Hand Steadiness
Conducting Physical Examinations