Sargent & Lundy is one of the most experienced full-service architect-engineering firms in the world. Founded in 1891, the firm is a global leader in power and energy with expertise in grid modernization, renewable energy, energy storage, nuclear power, and fossil fuels. Sargent & Lundy delivers comprehensive project services\u2014from consulting, design and implementation to construction management, commissioning and operations/maintenance\u2014with an emphasis on quality and safety. The firm serves public and private sector clients in the power and energy, gas distribution, industrial, and government sectors.
Our Core Values
Every decision we make is guided by our core values. By upholding these six principles, we support our clients, employees, and community. They are the compass we follow as we continue to grow our business and lead the industry.
Quality \u2013 We provide high-quality deliverables and services through an uncompromising focus on peer review, safety, and continuous improvement.
Accountability \u2013 Our actions demonstrate the highest levels of professionalism, integrity, and respect.
Our People \u2013 We value diverse perspectives, encourage professional growth, and are committed to providing a work community where people thrive. Our work is challenging but rewarding.
Our Clients \u2013 We deliver value and exceed our clients\u2019 expectations through outstanding customer service, personal accessibility, and clear communication.
Innovation \u2013 Since 1891, we have invested in the people, training, tools, and technology needed to quickly adapt in a constantly changing world.
Meaningful Impact \u2013 We make a positive impact in the communities where we work and live.
- This position is for the lead structural engineer in S&L\u2019s Houston office. In addition to structural engineering responsibilities, it includes direct contact with existing and potential new S&L clients in the south-central United States. A lead engineer will also be involved with budgeting and scheduling the engineering work to support proposals and the associated management of those efforts during implementation.
- This position will offer you the ability to directly apply your experience and knowledge of materials, structural analysis, structural steel design, and reinforced concrete design to support creative, cost effective solutions for existing and new designs. You will work on a wide range of power plant and industrial facility modifications and upgrades to support client requests and reviews including creating calculations, design documents, and specifications. Additionally, you will be conducting structural analyses, which include complex loading conditions such as wind, seismic, blast, and pressurization.
- As a structural lead, you will be responsible for guiding junior-level engineers and designers in structural engineering design efforts, including providing guidance with the coordination of detailed design phases for all aspects of structural engineering work.
- You will work on challenging assignments that include investigating, troubleshooting and solving a wide variety of structural engineering issues.
- Using our state-of-the-art computer tools, you will perform structural analysis and design of steel frames, connections, concrete members, equipment and piping supports, and foundations.
- Develop integrated structural designs and perform supporting calculations for the planned work.
- Prepare technical specifications for structural materials.
- Prepare engineering studies.
- Perform independent reviews of work performed by others including calculations and drawing preparation.
- Coordinate and provide guidance to other engineers, project managers, client personnel, and suppliers to ensure a complete and timely design.
- Perform reviews of existing facilities to propose upgrades and replacements, and present findings and recommendations to clients and peers. This may include performing on-site structural condition assessments and recommendations for repair/modification of existing structures that have various levels of degradation or are being repurposed.
- Develop your career via peer-learning through sharing of knowledge with other experienced engineers by way of S&L\u2019s systems of process and associated \u201cCommunities of Practice.\u201d
- Provide guidance as a mentor in the development of less experienced engineers.
- Client interface will likely include travel to client and vendor offices for design reviews and to plant site locations for condition assessments, construction coordination and field verification of designs.
We do not sponsor employees for work authorization in the U.S. for this position.
Essential skills and experience: