Senior Civil Engineer
Start your career here! Kelly Services is seeking a talented Senior Civil Engineer in Roanoke, VA. The ideal candidate will have 6+ years of front-line Geotechnical Engineering project experience, and an engineering degree. This is a 12-month contract role with possibility of extension for the right candidate!
20% Travel would consist of trips to the field to diagnose geotechnical issues. Many jobs are at least a three or four-hour drive from Roanoke. Hours: Monday-Friday / 8-hour days. Some OT may be required.
Our client is looking for someone that is in the stage of their career where they are still on the front line working projects with leadership qualities as opposed to someone who has been working as a Manager and/or Department Head. Looking for a candidate with 6 or so years of experience that is willing and will be enthusiastic about the day-to-day project work. Degree obtained no more than 10 years ago preferred. Engineering degree must be from an accredited university or have other accepted credentials.
1. Technical Expertise: Exhibits journey level proficiency plus advanced knowledge that enables the engineer to serve as a leader within the assigned organization. Keeps abreast of new products, developments, technologies, procedures and equipment. Understands and analyzes interrelationships between systems and component equipment. Interprets codes and regulations, and develops standards relevant to the area of assignment.
2. Leadership & Guidance: Provides guidance and exercises judgment and discretion in providing guidance and direction to other Engineers. Leads, facilitates and coordinates work activities of others within the work group, team, department, corporate entity, or those external to the company as required to perform all routine engineering work. Ensures all work activities are performed in accordance with the policies, practices, standards and rules of the company and complies with the regulations and procedures required by external agencies. Promotes engineering professionalism and standards. Coordinates and conducts training sessions.
3. Planning & Organization Ability: Participates in the development of plans by establishing measurable goals, objectives and requirements for specific areas of responsibility. Coordinates the development of input necessary to establish projected cost of all projects. Is proficient in use of scheduling techniques (CPM, PERT, flow charts, etc.) for budget and planning activities. Identifies and initiates appropriate corrective action when objectives are not being met.
4. Problem Solving & Initiative: Identifies, clarifies, resolves, and initiates solutions to routine and/or complex problems that sometimes involve analysis of inadequate or conflicting data. Demonstrates the ability to divide problems into component steps. Consistently looks for and develops opportunities and presents new ideas and approaches.
5. Communication: Coordinates the work of other engineers in an efficient and effective manner. Develops, reviews or prepares reports on complex technical subjects clearly, concisely and effectively, in a manner suitable for presentation to management, professional societies, regulatory bodies, etc. Leads and facilitates meetings effectively.
6. Interpersonal Skills: Possess collaborative and consensus building skills. Functions as a team leader and member. Networks upward and downward in several disciplines inside and outside the AEP system. Leverages network to get things done.
7. Decision Making: Makes decisions affecting plans and goals based on analysis of uncertain input and outcomes. Uses diverse approaches to make decisions in the absence of a definite framework or where few precedents exist. Can handle conflicting interests related to approaches on projects or studies. Analyzes options and risks and possesses the experience and knowledge to assess the risk of decisions and act accordingly. Makes decisions that affect the operations or results of the department and may have some impact on a major project.
8. Business Awareness & Characteristics: Exhibits an awareness of AEP's competitive position and how business decisions impact their organizational unit. Understands the specific goals and objectives of their individual organizational unit and is proficient in establishing measurable goals and objectives. Effectively manages project budgets using cost management techniques and understands how their decisions and recommendations impact AEP's expenses and revenues. Demonstrates an awareness of profit incentives, optimizing growth of customers' businesses and using our services to attract new business.
Requirements and Credentials:
- Has typically acquired 6 or more years of related engineering experience along with a Bachelor's degree in engineering in a program accredited by ABET*; Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) in any U.S. state or Puerto Rico** is encouraged and preferred.
- *ABET - Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. Acceptable alternatives are either a Bachelor’s degree in engineering (non-ABET), plus a Professional Engineers (PE) license in any state of the U.S.; Or a Bachelor’s degree in engineering (non-ABET) plus a Master’s degree in engineering from a university with an ABET accredited Bachelor’s program.
- Experience with Transmission Line projects preferred including design, engineering, estimating, and project lead experience.
- Extensive project Geotechnical Engineering experience is required.
- Capability to assess and recommend best case geotechnical solutions.
- Engineering Project Management experience is required on large scale projects including
- project scoping, estimating, design, and execution.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills a must including technical specification writing skills.
- Familiarity with industry design codes and standards and the proven ability to lead higher level engineers in solving related geotechnical design problems or issues.
- Expert knowledge with geotechnical engineering principles related to landslides and foundation design including but not limited to slope stability assessment and mitigation, drilled piers, steel grillages, steel caissons, and guy anchors.
- Experience with foundation design and slope stability programs required.
As a Kelly employee, you’ll have access to world-class perks, including:
- Kelly-sponsored Affordable Care Act health care coverage available to eligible employees
- *Group insurance options
- Service bonus plan
- Holiday pay plan
- Weekly electronic pay options
- Online training campus that provides more than 3,000 free courses to help improve and develop skills
- Exclusive online employee community
- Employee assistance program available at no cost
- Corporate discounts
- Transportation Spending Accounts
*Offered and administered by Leslie & Associates. These plans are not sponsored by Kelly Services.
*Important information: This position is recruited by a remote, national, Kelly office, not your local Kelly branch. Applicants must be legally permitted to work in the United States.
Services®, we work with the best. Our clients include 95 of the Fortune
100™ companies, and more than 70,000 hiring managers rely on Kelly annually to access
the best talent to drive their business forward. If you only make one career connection today, connect
As a workforce advocate for over 70 years, we are proud to directly employ nearly 500,000 people
around the world and have a role in connecting thousands more with work through our global network of
talent suppliers and partners. Revenue in 2017 was $5.4 billion. Visit URL blocked - click to apply and connect with us on URL blocked - click to apply, URL blocked - click to apply and URL blocked - click to apply.
Kelly Services is an equal opportunity employer including, but not limited to, Minorities, Females,
Individuals with Disabilities, Protected Veterans, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and is
committed to employing a diverse workforce. URL blocked - click to apply