Requisition ID: 140199
Job Level: Senior Level
Home District/Group: Kiewit Infrastructure Engineers
Department: Design Engineering
Employment Type: Full Time
Kiewit is seeking a Senior Geotechnical Engineer specializing in underground structures and tunnels to be a part of our growing Geotechnical Design Engineering Group. The engineer will be responsible for technical engineering assignments in support of Kiewit Corporation’s business across the US and Canada. The primary duties of this engineer will focus on design, design management (design-build), field support, and risk analysis of tunneling projects. In addition to these duties, the engineer would also get involved in other aspects of geotechnical engineering including ground improvement, foundations, and support of excavations. A strong technical and practical background in tunneling and geotechnical engineering is required. The successful candidate should possess excellent communication skills as well as an ability to work well in a team environment.
ENR released its 2022 Top 400 Contractor rankings. Kiewit ranks No. 3!
• No. 1 - Domestic Heavy
• No. 1 - Petroleum
• No. 1 - Transportation
• No. 2 - Power
• No. 4 - Working Abroad
• No. 20 - Domestic Building / Manufacturing
Kiewit Infrastructure Engineering's Design-Build team is driving clients to turn to Kiewit during all stages of design-build projects. Through our integrated design and construction approach, our multi-disciplinary team works together to improve schedule, control costs and minimize risk. Our construction-focused engineers work collaboratively with our estimators and builders to design solutions that are innovative, constructible, and designed with a focus on safety. Clients benefit from the proven processes and tools used by Kiewit to minimize project risk. We are an in-house resource that supports projects throughout the company. Our staff shares experiences gained, innovative concepts, and best practices for all projects that we support.
Kiewit’s management and implementation of this process leads to safe, cost effective, and innovative designs that exceeds client expectations and furthers Kiewit’s legacy of excellence.
On our team, you’ll have the opportunity to see more, touch more, and do more than you ever imagined. Working hard will not only bring you satisfaction from a job well done, but it will help propel your career forward faster than you might expect. We will train you, develop your skills, and allow you to take on projects that impact millions across North America. With top-notch health benefits, a wealth-building 401k plan, and unbeatable growth opportunities, by joining Kiewit, you’re ensuring a lifetime of success.
This position is based out of our San Jose location and includes travel to project offices and work sites, and period field assignments. One of the many things that makes Kiewit’s culture unique is that we go where the work is, which exposes your career to abundant opportunities. This means your Kiewit adventure is custom-designed to meet our shared needs.
In this role, you will utilize geotechnical engineering knowledge to complete technical engineering assignments in support of Kiewit Corporation business, including:
- Providing project support during the proposal/bid phase working with various team members to identify and evaluate innovative and cost-effective design solutions to geotechnical problems and challenges.
- Working with the pursuit team during the proposal/bid phase to help identify key design risks and develop plans to mitigate risks.
- Working on EPC/design-build projects to develop design recommendations, produce design deliverables, and potentially serve as geotechnical lead or project manager.
- Training and developing staff engineers.
- Master’s degree, or equivalent experience, in Geotechnical Engineering or closely related field, required.
- 15+ years of relevant geotechnical engineering experience in the design and construction
- 10+ yrs of geotechnical support in underground in structures, bridges and tunnels.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in the U.S. and/or Canada required.
- Demonstrated broad technical knowledge of geotechnical engineering on including: design of deep foundations, shallow foundations, evaluating slope stability, seismic engineering, retaining wall design, earth retention, rock mechanics, settlement of compressible soils, ground improvement techniques, support of excavation, and dewatering.
- Tunneling experience including design and oversight of: temporary ground support, settlement calculations, geotechnical baseline reports, risk analysis, ground water inflow..
Demonstrated broad technical knowledge of geotechnical engineering, including: 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional Finite Element (FE) modeling, strong understanding of SPT and CPT testing methodology, and conventional load testing.
Strong verbal and written communication skills, with a demonstrated focus on interdisciplinary design coordination, coordination between Engineering and Construction, experience working in a team setting, and directing/reviewing the work of others.
- Strong interpersonal skills resulting in exceptional rapport with people. Proven success in initiating, promoting, and maintaining strong interpersonal relationships amongst a team.
- EPC or Design-Build experience in U.S. is a PLUS.
- Ability to travel to project sites and the physical ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environmental conditions.
• Regular, reliable attendance
• Work productively and meet deadlines timely
• Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with supervisors, employees, and others individually or in a team environment.
• Perform work safely and effectively. Understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning signs, equipment use, and other policies.
• Work during normal operating hours to organize and complete work within given deadlines. Work overtime and weekends as required.
• FIELD ROLES ONLY May work at various different locations and conditions may vary.
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
- Deep Foundation
- Design Management