You’re being taken to an external site to apply.Enter your email below to receive job recommendations for similar positions.
Correctional Juvenile Staff Nurse - Juvenile Hall - Shift
Correction Staff Nurse (Juvenile) - Juvenile Hall
Bargaining Unit: Professional (SEIU2)
Probationary Period: Twelve (12) Months
Correctional Medicine Candidates
Background investigation is required of candidates who wish to be considered for Correctional Medicine assignments. Felony convictions are disqualifying, and some misdemeanor convictions may be disqualifying.
The estimated pay for this position is $40.0150 to $63.0516. The rates shown include a 6% premium pay (base= $-$ plus 6%). This reflects only a portion of the total compensation package for this position. Additional compensation may be available for this role through differentials, incentives, and bonuses. In addition, this position may be eligible for participation and company contributions into the Kern County Employees’ Retirement Plan.
Under the general direction of a registered nurse, within the scope of their licensure, assist physicians in a correctional facility by performing nursing assessments, screening, planning, implementation, and evaluation of safe, therapeutic care for persons incarcerated with Kern County correction facilities.
The Correctional Staff Nurse classification includes Correctional Staff Nurses who are employed by Kern Medical Center and assigned to Juvenile correctional medicine facilities. Correctional Staff Nurses provide basic and emergency health care services to persons housed within Kern County correctional facilities. The Correctional Staff Nurse classification can be distinguished from the Hospital Staff Nurse series by assignment in a locked detention facility with (1) clients of various cultural, physical, behavioral, and psychological profiles; (2) extended exposure to odors, fumes, noises, behaviors and medical conditions associated with detention facilities; and (3) the constant threat or risk of verbal abuse and injury.
This classification ranges from entry-level in the Correctional Staff Nurse (CSN) to the journey level experienced in correctional nursing, performing patient care with limited supervision.
- Collects, interprets, and documents data to determine whether incarcerated persons have physiological and/or psychosocial risk factors.
- Records and reports assessment data and makes appropriate referrals.
- Communicates and collaborates with physicians and allied health professionals in setting priorities for the care of patients.
- Implements therapeutic care for patients responding to needs due to multisystem disease or complications of treatment.
- Performs intake, ongoing assessments, and screenings.
- Treats patients according to appropriate standardized procedures and scope of service.
- Implements orders written by Physicians or allied health professionals.
- Manages and treats contagious and sexually transmitted diseases as recommended by the Kern County Health Department and as ordered by physicians or allied health professionals.
- Performs quality assurance monitoring, analyzes results, and participates in process improvement for identified problems.
- Accepts assignments and floats to other facilities according to the needs of the Correctional Medicine Department as instructed by the clinical director, clinical supervisor, or designee.
- Anticipates patient care problems and responds to changes in the unit by prioritizing emergencies, changes in patient status, and unusual occurrences.
- Performs and documents the nursing process consistent with scientific principles and hospital policy as required by the patient assignment.
- Enters pertinent information in the Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) as applicable.
- Schedules appointments for an incarcerated person to see physicians, allied health professionals, or others as appropriate.
- Administers and assists with monitoring the Self Administration Medication program (SAM) or other programs as available or designated.
- Practices personal safety awareness, as well as advocates for incarcerated persons’ safety as appropriate for a correctional environment.
- Responds to changes in the facility, such as but not limited to: lockdowns, inmate and ward altercations, riots, medical priorities, quarantines, and exposure to chemical restraints.
- Assists in the orientation and training of new staff and completes all competencies, mandatory classes, and educational coursework as required by the correctional facility and Kern Medical Center.
- Maintains confidentiality as prescribed in regulation (Title 15, HIPAA, and the Penal Code).
Performs other job-related duties as required.
- Possession of a valid license to practice as a Registered Nurse by the State of California;
- One (1) year experience as a Registered Nurse, OR;
- One (1) year of vocational nursing experience providing direct patient care in a correctional health care setting;
- Possess a current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support (BLS) card at the time of hire. As a continued condition of employment, employees must maintain RQI Provider certification and competency.
Depending Upon Assignment:
- A valid California Class “C” Driver’s License is required at the time of appointment. Incumbents may be required to possess and maintain specific certificates of nursing competency as a condition of employment.
- Theory, techniques, and practices of nursing;
- Medical terminology, instruments, and equipment;
- The uses and effects of medicines and narcotics.
- Follow oral and written instructions;
- Maintain concise and complete records;
- Demonstrate the practical and theoretical knowledge of nursing care specific to the assigned work area/specialty;
- Meet the content and performance criteria specific to each defined specialty, leader/professional development, and unit operation;
- Communicate effectively, verbally and in writing;
- Prepare and maintain concise and comprehensive required written reports;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, other employees, internal and external customers and patients.
- A thorough physical evaluation is required. Applicants must be free from conditions that prevent them from performing the work required of a Correctional Staff Nurse.
- Applicants will be required to pass an extensive background check and be fingerprinted, as they must possess and maintain clearance to be employed in Kern County correction facilities. Felony convictions will be disqualifying, and convictions for misdemeanors and traffic offenses will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
A background check may be required for this classification.
All Kern Medical employees are designated “Disaster Service Workers.” In the event of a disaster or civil disorder, all Kern Medical employees are to remain at work or to report to work in a safe and practicable manner.
If position responsibilities require driving a personal vehicle, then possession of a current valid California Driver’s License and adherence to the Kern County Hospital Authority Vehicle Use and Driving Standard Policy (ENG-EC-119) is required.
If position responsibilities require driving a vehicle owned, leased, or rented by Kern Medical, then possession of a current valid California Driver’s license, a signed authorization for Release of Drivers Record Information, and adherence to the Kern County Hospital Authority Vehicle Use and Driving Standard Policy (ENG-EC-119) is required.
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (Acls)
- Basic Life Support
- Business Process Improvement
- Certified Nurse Practitioner
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job:
Job ID: 34998187772
For your privacy and protection, when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction. Learn more.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder Terms and Conditions for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the Terms and Conditions and both meet and comply with their provisions.