The Department Manager II manages activities within more than one major department within Commercial Lending Operations. Manages 50+ FTE's, in addition to 15-20 off-shore and two or more manager-level direct reports. Drives strategy of the assigned department and contributes to strategy of the assigned area.
The primary role of Commercial Lending Operations is to provide operational support for lending instruments such as commercial loans, commercial leases and letters of credit. This team also provides customer service to our internal business partners as well as some regulatory and year-end reporting. Commercial Lending Operations strives to deliver timely and accurate service to our internal business partners so they can, in turn, provide a positive customer experience.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Oversee daily activities and ongoing strategic planning of a department within Commercial Lending Operations, ensuring quality standards are maintained in accordance with Bank, Division and Department policy and all activities of the department are completed in compliance with defined processes and regulations.
- Work with senior management within Banking Services and has input to the overall strategic planning of the Division.
- Provide leadership, guidance, feedback and training to staff.
- Oversee compilation of month-end data for department activities managed for distribution to and decision-making by senior management. Understand drivers of the assigned business and address issues with assigned staff and/or management promptly.
- Interact routinely with senior management of Banking Services to discuss and set business objectives for assigned department.
- Evaluate department processes, procedures and policies routinely and approve changes to increase operational efficiency of departments managed to maximize resources and minimize expenditures.
- Analyze data in assessing department performance and opportunities for improvement. Escalate potential risks to senior management.
- Exercise usual authority of a manager concerning staffing, performance appraisals, promotions, salary recommendations, performance management and terminations.
- Understand and adhere to the Company’s risk and regulatory standards, policies and controls in accordance with the Company’s Risk Appetite. Design, implement, maintain and enhance internal controls to mitigate risk on an ongoing basis. Identify risk-related issues needing escalation to management.
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the M&T Bank brand.
- Maintain M&T internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable.
- Complete other related duties as assigned.
The position manages multiple units within a Department of Banking Services with a significant amount of complexity and risk exposure and acts independently in managing this.
Education and Experience Required:
A combined minimum of 13 years’ higher education and/or relevant work experience, inclusive of a minimum of 3 years' managerial experience
Excellent customer service skills
Prior experience using tact and diplomacy
Strong knowledge of pertinent spreadsheet, word processing and presentation software as required within unit managed
Education and Experience Preferred:
Master's degree preferred, but not required
Knowledge of Commercial Lending and experience working in either CL Operations or Sales
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Strong knowledge of departmental systems, documents and procedures
Proven experience to motivate a team and handle conflict without alienating others
Buffalo, New York, United States of America