Energized by an over 200-year history as part of PQ Corporation - our company is now simpler, stronger, leaner, nimbler - and solidly positioned for growth. Ecovyst is a pure-play catalyst and services company. As catalysts for positive change, our technologies play a critical role in supporting ecological health, and propelling expansion and growth for our customers.
Our long history of innovation expertise and close customer collaboration supports the development of proprietary catalysts and services across our two industry-leading businesses, Ecoservices and Catalyst Technologies
Ecoservices provides specialty grade high purity virgin sulfuric acid for a number of diverse and growing end uses. Among them are mining, particularly copper for electronics applications, production of lead acid batteries for all types of vehicles, water treatment, and agricultural products.
Catalyst Technologies business is a leader in engineering proprietary and customized technologies for cleaner fuels, emissions control and waste reduction
At Ecovyst, we are prioritizing and accelerating our growing and greening initiatives, and are putting sustainability for a safer, cleaner, healthier world at the forefront of our forward strategy. At Ecovyst, we are ready for change
We have an opening for a Health and Safety Specialist to be based at our Martinez, CA plant. This role will support both Martinez, CA and our Portland, OR plants.
- We are not offering relocation or visa sponsorship for this role at this time.
- We are not using agencies for this role at this time.
Health and Safety General Responsibilities
- Facilitate and support Health and Safety activities and initiatives at the Martinez, CA and Portland, OR sites
- Lead, support, promote, and improve, all Health and Safety (H&S), corporate/Site policies, procedures, performance standards and RC 14001 and Ecovyst H&S Principles (Behavioral & Operational Safety)
- Seek opportunities for employee involvement in all aspects of Site health and safety programs
- Promote and follow Ecovyst's Life Saving Safety Rules
- Recognize hazardous situations and recommend corrective measures
- Prepare / Deliver / Attend monthly safety meetings
- Assist Site in the completion of process safety action items
- Be a visible presence on Site to promote good health and safety practices and reduce risks
- Act as advocate for all Site Health and Safety programs and procedures
- Provide weekly and monthly safety reporting internally (Site & Ecovyst) and externally as required
- Maintain and report the Safety Preventative Ratio metrics each month
- Act as the FSO (facility security officer) and liaison to the contracted security force
- Act as the Site administrator for the web-based learning management system
- Prepare 30 Min Safety Reviews and/or H&S Alerts
- Active participation in Site Turnaround H&S (conduct H&S orientations, field presence, audits, etc.)
- Maintain the PPE Matrix for the Site
- Support the Environmental Team on assigned Site environmental objectives - up to 10%
- Take all required training courses as assigned
- Develop training presentations for Site health and safety programs, procedures and policies
- Conduct Safety related training as needed
- Coordinate Emergency Response and HAZMAT Training for the Site
- Maintain the HSE Training Matrix for the Site
- Assist Site with HSE Management Systems
- Participate in HSE Management Reviews
- Champion elements of the Site HSE Management System
- Liaison to Site keeping them alert to current H&S laws and regulations
- Assist Site with development and implementation of H&S action plans
- Audit Site safety practices and provide feedback on compliance and conformance to Ecovyst requirements
- Assist the Site in developing Site-Specific H&S improvements
- Assist Site with Contractor H&S Management
- Maintain working relationships with regional, federal, state and local health and safety agencies.
- Maintain Aspects and Impacts, Communication Grid, and Legal Register. Responsible to update the aspects list as new information becomes available (such as spill investigations, ministry/agency inspections, internal/external audits, process changes, etc.)
- Review RC14001 manual and determine need for updates to Site practices
Personnel Health and Safety Activities
- Support the Site Health & Safety Committees
- Coordinate Industrial Hygiene Monitoring and ensure proper notifications and documentation are maintained, including usage and maintenance of Martinez, CA/Portland, OR data in Enablon IH module.
- Participate and/or lead in incident investigations and incident management process
- Participation in risk assessments (PHA, CTA, JSA, etc.) as applicable
- Emergency Response
- Coordinate emergency response activities (ERT)
- Be fully trained on the Incident Command System process for on-site incidents
- Provide oversite for the emergency response equipment inspections and testing for Site
- Participate in Site Emergency Response drills
- Bachelor's degree (B.S.) from an accredited four-year college or university preferred
- 5 years manufacturing experience (preferred chemical industry)
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in Health and Safety is required
- Knowledge of Federal and State regulations relative to Health and Safety
- Strong communication/inter-personal skills - able to inspire and encourage the use of best practices at Site Sites, able to communicate with Site staff, management, and regulatory agencies
- Ability to work efficiently in a multi-disciplined, cross-functional environment
- Ability to plan/organize tasks and consistently produce results with minimal supervision
- Ability to comprehend, analyze, and understand the legal aspects of legislation
- Working knowledge with computer software (e.g., Microsoft Office).
Job Duties Affected by the Environmental Conditions Include:
- Field Audits, Emergency Response, daily rounds, incident investigations.
- Emergency Services
- Risk Analysis
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Best Practices