We are AAM. We have the POWER to move the world.
At AAM, we're looking for associates who push boundaries and drive solutions for the future. Innovators. Thinkers. Dreamers. Doers. No matter the role or function, every associate is a piece of what makes AAM great. We’re growing and building #TeamAAM to be the best. Join us!
Job Posting Title
SR. Technical Manager Motor Architect
Job Description Summary
The Technical Manager Motor Architect will contribute in several key aspects of electric powertrain development including designing, and developing advanced traction motor systems for EV applications. The scope may include electric machine design optimization, advanced motor manufacturing process development, motor system development, as well as vehicle level system modeling and optimization.
- Specification, design and analysis of advanced traction motors for specific vehicle performance targets.
- Perform motor electromagnetic and thermal design optimization.
- Perform motor control algorithm design, simulation, specification and verification.
- Perform characterization, parameter estimation, tuning and calibration of motor system on dyno.
- Develop testing plans to validate motor electromagnetic and thermal designs including performance and durability.
- Work with mechanical engineers to create motor design drawings and release to manufacturing.
- Support structural and mechanical analysis of motor systems including NVH and durability.
- Support powertrain system integration and vehicle control integration.
- Support motor manufacturing development including material sourcing, supplier engagement and process development.
- Gathers and comprehends customer requirements by supporting the team prior and benchmark information regarding the customer’s need; creating and maintaining a record of potential risks with the product design.
- Translates customer requirements into product specifications; interfaces with customer representatives to ensure their desired features and performance levels are properly comprehended in product specifications.
- Design and document towards technical robustness such as Worst Case Analysis, Circuit Simulations, DFMEA, Functional Safety Analysis
- Support the project planning, design, development testing, and release of Inverter products.
- Coordinate technical interfaces between Motor hardware and software (HSI).
- Coordinate functional safety on Sub-System level and development of the Functional Safety Concept and Technical Safety Concept.
- Define and agree on technical interfaces related to systems and components.
- Align testing with related systems and components.
- Establishes key product characteristics and develops a bill of materials for an approved design.
- Coordinating design development efforts with global teams for global program support.
- Meet Timing, Cost, Quality, and Performance (Requirements) targets.
- Support risk management.
- Plan & track milestones tied to EE Sub-Systems Engineering activities.
- Coordinating supplier activities through purchasing.
- Conducting DV & PV testing (including specifying high-risk areas for pre-testing of environmental and EMC test legs with PCB layout reviews for EMC optimization and manufacturing robustness), analyzing, and making recommendations/changes based on results.
- Validates the design of new products or product enhancements by completing various analyses such as stack-ups, DFMEA, Finite Element Analysis, Design for Assembly/ Manufacturing studies, and Noise, Vibration, and Harshness studies.
- Leads various technical reviews throughout the product development cycle including technical presentations to various stakeholders.
- Compiles reports and completes documentation to track and facilitate the product development process.
- Coordinates the testing and validation of product designs; gains prototype and part approval.
Required Skills and Education
- BSME and/or BSEE or Master Degree preferred or PhD degree in Electrical and Electronics.
- 3 plus years of experience with Motor and power electronics design for electrification/hybridization of passenger cars or commercial vehicles.
- 10 plus years of Experience in an Automotive OEM or Tier-1 supplier industry.
- 3+ years of experience (academic or professional) in electric machine modeling, design, analysis and manufacturing.
- Solid understanding of various types of electric machines, dynamic modeling, parameter estimation, and advanced control.
- Experience in the design and analysis of high power density permanent-magnet motors, switched reluctance motors and induction motors.
- Knowledgeable in state-of-the-art manufacturing methods of electric machines and relevant global supply chain.
- Familiarity with Invertor architectures for automotive applications.
- Knowledge of motor control algorithms (i.e. FOC, VFD, DTC, etc.) and their implementation into embedded software including strategies for sensor less controls.
- Familiarity developing a product from concept to production.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of functional safety (ISO 26262).
About American Axle & Manufacturing
For over 20 years, customers around the world have entrusted AAM to design, engineer, validate and manufacture driveline and metal forming technologies for automotive, commercial and industrial markets. Today, we are a premier global Tier 1 automotive supplier with broad capabilities across multiple product lines to deliver efficient, powerful and innovative solutions for our customers. We’ve earned the trust of our suppliers and our customers through our steadfast commitments to quality, operational excellence and technology leadership.
AAM delivers power. We deliver power literally through vehicle components, systems and innovation, but we also deliver power in ways unseen. We power our associates, their families, and the communities in which we operate. Our global team of over 21,000 associates has a clear vision of where AAM is going and how we are going to get there. After all, they are the reason we are a leader in the automotive industry. We are powering the future. We are AAM. Move with us, and join #TeamAAM.
AAM will not discriminate against any Associate or applicant for employment because of age, race, color, gender, religion, weight, height, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic history or information, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, national origin, or other characteristic protected by law. AAM will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed, and that Associates are treated equally during employment, without regard to their age, race, color, gender, religion, weight, height, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic history or information, gender identity or expression, disability, protected veteran status, national origin, or other characteristic protected by law. For the Disabled Job Seeker: We offer reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled individuals who are applicants for employment. To request assistance or accommodations, please e-mail [ Email address blocked ] - Click here to apply to SR. Technical Manager Motor Architect
. AAM is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Unsolicited Resumes from Third-Party Recruiters
Please note that as per AAM policy, we do not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters unless such recruiters were engaged to provide candidates for a specified opening. Any employment agency, person or entity that submits an unsolicited resume does so with the understanding that AAM will have the right to hire that applicant at its discretion without any fee owed to the submitting employment agency, person or entity.