FirstEnergy at a Glance
We are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,500 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of 3,780 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp. [SC00]
The ability to work remotely within the United States may be available based on business need. This option is not available in the states of California, Colorado, Illinois, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Montana, Nebraska, New York, Oregon or Washington at this time.
We have recently embarked on a Digital transformation journey where we are reimaging the way we work and serve our users. Our projects benefit the community by aiding in providing safe, reliable electricity to everyone:
- Customer: create analytics to improve customer satisfaction along the customer journey for a lifetime as they move-in to a residence, pay their bill and move to new residences.
- Transmission & Distribution: develop algorithms to detect asset failures, reduce outages and provide reliable electricity to customers.
- Smart Meter: provide customers with the electric usage they need to make smart decisions about their home as well as reduce threats and theft in the electric system.
What you’ll do:
As a Cloud Engineer at FirstEnergy you will work on an agile, diverse and cross-functional team to automate the deployment of cloud infrastructure and services to support application development and hosting. Some of the tasks completed by a Cloud Engineer are architecting, engineering, deploying, and operationally managing the logical and physical cloud computing infrastructure for the enterprise. Furthermore,
- You will be responsible for creating software components, modules and integrations that are dynamically scalable and highly available services in a cloud environment.
- You will creation software testing implementations including unit, functional, acceptance, performance and security tests.
- You will support cloud developers in optimizing and automating cloud engineering activities such as real time migration, provisioning and deployment, etc.
- You will continue improving cloud product reliability, availability, maintainability & cost/benefit
- You will provide inputs to IT financial management for cloud – on costs associated with capacity build-out, forecast for cloud IT investments, etc.
What You Will Need to be Qualified:
- You have a bachelor’s degree in a quantitative discipline such as Computer Science or another related field with 7 years related experience. In lieu of a degree, you have 9 years of related experience.
- Your related experience should include in depth knowledge of: cloud strategy, Agile/Scrum methodologies, coding best practices and networking protocols
- You have proven experience in driving the strategy, architecture, design and implementation of cloud initiatives
- You have experience with deploying and operating in an Azure cloud environment (AWS and GCP experience is nice to have)
- You have experience in Agile/Scrum methodologies using Azure DevOps and PowerShell.
- You know how to work in an environment with rapid prototyping and piloting of cloud solutions
- You have a good understanding of secure coding practices, code quality and engineering practices such as test-driven development
- You have strong devops automation experience including setup and configuration of CI/CD processes
- You have proven expertise in infrastructure as code (e.g., ARM, DevOps, GitLab, Terraform, Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Chocolatey, VMware vRA toolsets)
- You have a good understanding of container orchestration platforms like Docker, Kubernetes, VMware Tanzu, Red Hat OpenShift, ECS or others
- You have a good understanding of standard networking protocols and components such as HTTP, DNS, TCP/IP, ICMP and load balancing
- You are willing to travel throughout the organization and service territory and work extended hours, as required
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Nearest Major Market: Akron
Nearest Secondary Market: Cleveland
Cloud, Open Source, Testing, Military, Defense, Technology, Government
- Agile Methodology
- Continuous Integration
- Customer Satisfaction