WHO WE ARE
Michael Baker International is a leading provider of [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Department Manager, Bridge, including design, planning, environmental, construction and program management. The company provides its comprehensive range of services and solutions to support U.S. federal, state, and municipal governments, foreign allied governments, and a wide range of commercial clients. Michael Baker’s more than 3,000 employees across nearly 100 locations are committed to a culture of innovation, collaboration and technological advancement to help solve challenges for clients and communities throughout the country. To learn more, visit [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Department Manager, Bridge.
Michael Baker International has addressed bridge design, construction and preservation challenges with innovative and sustainable solutions. Exemplifying its depth and versatility in the bridge space, Michael Baker International, ranked Number Five by Engineering News-Record in its annual ranking of Bridge Design Firms in the United States, has partnered with clients on a full spectrum of bridge types-from conventional grade separations to major, complex river crossings, including trusses, arches, box girders and cable-stayed bridges.
MBI is seeking a Department Manager, Bridges, with a proven track record to join our Virginia Beach, VA team. Primary responsibilities will include leading and growing our Virginia Beach bridges department in design, analysis, and inspection.
Key Management Responsibilities:
- Management responsibility for the Bridge Group which includes a staff size of 15 engineering professionals in multiple offices, including:
- Technical oversight,
- Staff hiring and development,
- Staff assignments to maintain utilization and technical excellence,
- Leadership of team activities.
- Overall responsibilities include:
- Contract management/project management,
- Project performance,
- Application and enforcement of QA/QC process standards,
- Technical and cost proposal development,
- Client management,
- Champion corporate and regional technical quality initiatives, design practice integration (along with Design Leaders), and project process leadership.
- Collaborate with the national and regional Bridge Technical Services Managers, as well as bridge and roadway managers from other Michael Baker offices around the country and be part of a dynamic team responsible for expanding the bridge engineering practices currently servicing state, county, and municipal clients.
- Project management experience with VDOT and/or any of the Hampton Roads area municipalities; experience managing projects involving multiple disciplines such as roadway, drainage, geotechnical, etc.; and experience supervising the execution, financial performance, and quality assurance of multiple simultaneous projects.
Business Development and Marketing Efforts Include:
- Lead marketing campaigns and capture teams; upon selection, work with the client and project managers to develop and negotiate the scope of work, schedule and budget
- Identify key project types and strategic new markets based on trends and staff capabilities,
- Serve as Sales Leads to track and support opportunities for key markets,
- Strong abilities to initiate and maintain relationships with clients,
Specific Traits/Experience Include:
- Possess strong verbal, written, presentation and excellent client management skills,
- Ability to inspire teams, develop relationships with co-workers and direct reports, and to meet internal deadlines,
- Positive attitude, even when under pressure,
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment,
- Collaborative and productive work style,
- Flexible and willing to assist with multiple tasks,
- Demonstrated ability leading and managing the design and detailing of complex transportation structures, with an emphasis on experience and knowledge of the design, analysis, Inspection and maintenance of bridges,
- Goal oriented, quality focused, and have demonstrated success with creating and fostering a team environment.
- B.S. degree in Structural Engineering. Master’s degree in Structural Engineering, Engineering Management, or similar degree preferred.
- 15+ years of bridge related design including 5+ years project management experience. Ideal candidates will have extensive experience with Virginia DOT and DOT Authority design standards.
- Experience with road and/or rail bridge rehabilitation design, seismic analysis, and rating analysis is desired. Experience with other transportation/infrastructure agencies located in the Mid-Atlantic is also desired.
- Virginia PE or ability to obtain within 3 months.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Experience with and understanding of AASHTO LRFD design and complex structural analysis software including Midas, STAAD, LARSA, or similar.
- Excellent written and verbal communications, organizational skills, and strong project management skills.
- The ideal candidate will also possess established client and colleague relationships and be active in the professional community.
- Structural Analysis
- Product Quality Assurance
- Steel Design
- Geotechnical Engineering