To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Omaha, NE
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Consumer Underwriter (Fraud Prevention)
Pentagon Federal Credit Union • Omaha, NE
Posted 4 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
Consumer Underwriter (Fraud Prevention)
PenFed is hiring a Consumer Underwriter (Fraud Prevention) in our Omaha Service Center in Omaha, NE. The primary purpose of this job is to review and underwrite consumer loan applications (excluding 1st & 2nd trust) within delegated underwriting authority in accordance with Federal regulation and PenFed Board of Director policies, procedures, and standards. More specifically, this position will be responsible for reviewing and underwriting high-risk and suspicious loan application requests with the intent of mitigating and preventing loan fraud.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of job duties and the position will perform other duties as assigned.
- Complete a thorough analysis of the loan application file to determine member’s creditworthiness for the desired product
- Review and evaluate loan applications and approves, pends, or declines requests to extend credit.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the analysis and judgmental decision process for various Consumer loan products including Auto Loans (direct and indirect), Credit Cards, and Personal Loans & Lines of Credit, Motorcycle Loans, and RV/Boat loans.
- Work with both members, internal PenFed staff, and external partners to provide rationale and explanations for consumer lending decisions.
- Interpret policies and guidelines for loan processor and other PenFed employees requiring guidance. Follow up with processors when documentation is inaccurate due to processing errors or execution failures. Provides feedback to managers on processors’ performance.
- Analyze and review documentation related to consumer loan applications with an emphasis on accuracy, legitimacy, and completeness of required documentation
- Acts as an escalation point for other underwriters regarding high-risk and suspicious loan applications, evaluating the request for potential red flags and providing follow-up and research to determine the legitimacy of the loan application
- Maintains a strong, working knowledge of current and historical fraud trends and credit abuse tactics
- Takes part in peer mentoring and coaching activities designed to maximize staff performance
- Collaborates with other departments and/or institutions to corroborate or collect information related to consumer lending decisions
- Assists IT department with user acceptance and other systems testing
- Maintain a thorough understanding of state and federal laws and regulations related to credit union compliance including bank secrecy and anti-money laundering laws appropriate to the position
- Review policies, procedures, and guidelines and makes recommendations for improvement
Education and Experience
Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- A Bachelor’s Degree required. Prior underwriting or processing experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience in financial services is required, preferably with a background in consumer lending, loan processing, or financial security
- Managerial or supervisory experience is preferred.
- Experience coaching, leading, and developing subordinates highly preferred.
This position does not supervise employees.
Licenses and Certifications
- Must register with the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry (NMLS) to obtain a unique identifier required for Mortgage Loan Officers (MLOs). Registry must be maintained in accordance with PenFed policy and all related regulations.
- Must successfully complete Pentagon Federal Loan Officer Training Program.
- Must register with the Oregon Department of Consumer and Business Services Insurance Division to hold a producer’s license.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to an indoor office setting with moderate noise.
Limited travel to various worksites is required.'
Established in 1935, PenFed today is one of the country’s strongest and most stable financial institutions with over 1.6 million members and over $23 billion in assets. We serve members in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, as well as in Guam, Puerto Rico, Okinawa, and Portugal. We are federally insured by NCUA and we are an Equal Housing Lender. We are available to members worldwide, via the web, seven days a week, twenty-four hours a day.
Our mission isn’t simply to help our members get by. We exist to help them realize every ounce of their potential. We exist to educate, and to encourage. We exist to usher their dreams into the land of reality.
We provide our employees with a lucrative benefits package including robust medical, dental and vision plan options, plenty of paid time off, 401k with employer match, on-site fitness facilities at our larger locations, and more.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PenFed management will maintain and observe personnel policies which will not discriminate or permit harassment or retaliation against a person because of race, color, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, military or veteran status or obligation, the presence of a physical and/or mental disability or medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, and all statuses protected by applicable state or local law in all recruiting, hiring, training, compensation, overtime, position classifications, work assignments, facilities, promotions, transfers, employee treatment, and in all other terms and conditions of employment. PenFed will also prohibit retaliation against individuals for raising a complaint of discrimination or harassment or participating in an investigation of same.
PenFed will also reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability so that they can apply for a job or perform the essential functions of a job unless doing so causes a direct threat to these individuals or others in the workplace and the threat cannot be eliminated by reasonable accommodation or if the accommodation creates an undue hardship to PenFed. Contact human resources (HR) with any questions or requests for accommodation at 571-289-4710.