Requisition ID: 71433
Job Function/Category: Craftworkers
Employment Type: Non-exempt Full Time
This is an exciting time to be joining PSEG. Our commitments, which include safety, integrity, customer focus, and diversity & inclusion, are the fabric of our culture and help drive the success of our business. We are fortunate to have an outstanding workforce of diverse and highly skilled talent who move us forward in our operational excellence journey. PSEG has more than 12,000 employees who are dedicated to the communities we serve and embody our vision: People providing Safe, Reliable, Economic and Greener Energy.
Consistent with our core commitment of safety, PSEG has made the decision to require all new hires to be fully COVID-19 vaccinated as a condition of hire employment. "Full vaccination" is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a disability can request a reasonable accommodation.
Experience the personal challenge of working for a world class organization and leader in the Utilities and Energy industry as a Journeyman Lineman/Linewoman – Emergency Service Specialist in the Distribution Operations Department for our Long Island, New York territory.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Normally work alone and make initial response to all types of electric emergency conditions.
- Performing all types of line work on energized overhead and underground distribution and transmission lines in all voltage classifications. Investigating, locating and repairing faults on distribution and transmission lines in all voltage classifications. Making all types of standard connections, phasing out, paralleling circuits and taking electrical tests on overhead and underground distribution and transmission circuits in all voltage classifications.
- Investigating, locating and repairing faults on overhead and underground systems.
- Changing all types of connections.
- Patrolling circuits or fused branch as required.
- Make safe and provide temporary electric service on customer premises.
- Troubleshooting all power quality customer issues, which include open neutrals, flickering lights and stray voltage.
- Performing all types of switching on distribution and transmission circuits. Operating circuit breakers and other equipment in substations as required.
- Operate various types of line vehicles and equipment such as bucket truck, line truck, jib-boom. Responsible for truck stock and additional material or equipment required to perform the work.
- Operating and being responsible for the care and use of motor vehicles, pumps, blowers, motor generators, test equipment, tools and material associated with the work.
- Being responsible for the avoidance of danger to the public and the preparation of daily reports.
- Reading and interpreting overhead and underground work order prints, construction standards, wiring diagrams, circuit maps, transformer connection and distribution equipment wiring diagrams and being familiar with the various types of service and meter connections as they apply to his work. Analyze, maintain and repair all types of distribution equipment such as automatic reclosures, vacuum switches, capacitor controls, load break switches, etc.
- Prepare daily reports.
- Receive and close out work via a mobile computer. Updating various statuses, data entry and job information.
- Overseeing switching for other groups such as contractors or foreign crews.
- Meeting customers and the public in a pleasant, tactful manner and performing his duties in such a manner as to ensure good public relations.
- Being thoroughly familiar with the Company's general rules for the operation of the electric systems as they apply to his/her work.
- Performing similar or less skilled work as may be assigned.
- Flexibility to work multiple shifts in various locations. This position is a 24 hour – 7 days per week rotating position.
- As an employee of PSEG Long Island you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must have completed an accredited T&D Apprentice Lineperson Training Program
- Required to pass a written entrance exam, and a hands on physical assessment to demonstrate knowledge of working safely on the Distribution System
Licenses or Certifications
As an employee of PSE&G or PSEG Long Island, you should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.
This site ([ Link removed ] ) is strictly for candidates who are not currently PSEG employees. PSEG employees must apply for jobs internally through empower which can be accessed through the mypseg homepage by clicking on the employee center tab, then under the empower header, choose careers.
Business needs may cause PSEG to cancel or delay filling position at any time during the selection process.
Certain positions at the Company may require you to have access to Part 810-Controlled Information. Under the law, the Company is limited in who it can share this information with and in certain circumstances it is necessary to obtain specific authorization before the Company can share this information. Accordingly, if the position does require access to this information, you must complete a 10 CFR Part 810 Export Control Compliance Nationality Request Form, a copy of which will be provided to you by Talent Acquisition if an offer is made. If there is a need for specific authorization, due to the time it takes to obtain authorization from the government, we will likely not be able to further proceed with an offer.
Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment, including the hiring process, based on any legal protected characteristic. Legally protected characteristics included, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in locations where PSEG employs individuals.
Need to request an accommodation?
If you have a disability and need assistance submitting your resume, applying for a position or registering for a test, please call
. Any information provided regarding a disability will be kept strictly confidential and will not be shared with anyone involved in making a hiring decision.
- Commercial Driver's License (Cdl)
- Data Entry
- Medical Emergency
- Problem Solving