As a member of the extended reliability team within Cargill Starches, Sweeteners, and Texturizers (CSST) the Automation Lead interacts with internal and external centers of expertise to ensure reliability centered maintenance and engineering principles are utilized within the site and departments. This positions is responsible for leading the automation team in the execution of maintenance and project work along with supporting department requests. This position will interact with the team to execute work based on corporate defined best practice guidelines and standards. The Automation Lead will provide their design expertise in the areas of automation, electrical, and instrumentation to help develop team members. Principal Accountabilities
40% - Lead Execution of Automation Solutions.
• Manage automation workflow process for maintenance and capital projects.
• Manage automaton employees and contractors.
• Partner with Manufacturing Technology to ensure that the engineering design incorporates Manufacturing Technology specific needs into the detailed design of the facility.
• Oversee design and configuration of control systems related to capital projects and maintenance work.
• Responsible for business and maintenance metrics for automation systems.20% - Hardware and Software Executio
• Development and implementation of control strategies in coordination with the local engineering team and the Regional Manufacturing Technology team.
• Oversee management of 3rd party applications.
• Manage life cycle requirements.20% - Continuous Improvement
• Work with Operations, Maintenance and Reliability teams to identify areas in need of improvement and reliability.
• Participate in Root Cause Analysis efforts and solutions.
• Participate in Regional Community of Practice (COP) teams.
• Assists in the development of the 5-year capital and maintenance plan.
• Provide troubleshooting expertise to stakeholders.15% - Development and Training
• Coach and mentor automation employees and contract labor to ensure continued technical and professional growth.
• Provide training for new technologies and control strategies.
• Provide troubleshooting expertise to stakeholders such as operations.
• Participate in area PHAs, provide safety interlock expertise, and develop an understanding of area field instrumentation.
• Participate and contribute to other plants efforts requiring Automation expertise. 5% - Other Duties as needed
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Technical discipline
OR Associates Technical Degree plus 3 years of AEI experience
OR 5 years AEI experience in lieu of degree
• Must have ability to configure and program a variety of control systems including Distributed Control Systems (DCS), Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), and Human Machine Interface (HMI) systems.
• Must understand advance process control, feedforward control, ratio control, cascade control, continuous process control, and batch process control strategies.
• Must be able to lead and manage internal and external resources and work well in a team.
• Design, implementation and troubleshooting knowledge of plant communication technologies – i.e. Ethernet, HART, Modbus/RTU, DeviceNET
• Design, implementation and troubleshooting of interlocks, permissives, forced setpoints, sequencing and control strategies.
• Ability to read and update P&IDs, electrical schematics, loop diagrams, user required specifications, functional design specifications.
• Ability to travel up to 10%.Success factors
• Ability to balance and achieve positive results in the areas of safety, quality, productivity, and cost.
• Demonstrated strong problem solving and analytical skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong attention to detail.Preferred
• Certified Automation Professional (CAP) Certification through Instrument Society of America (ISA).
• 3 years of supervisory experience
• Knowledge of reliability centered maintenance, planning and scheduling.
• Knowledge of ISA 18.2, ISA 88, NFPA 85, NFPA 86,IEC 61131, IEC 61508 and IEC 61511.
• Knowledge of predictive technologies: Motor Circuit Evaluation (MCE), vibration, infrared, ultrasound, and machinery lubrication.
• Experience with Starches, Sweeteners, and Texturizers equipment and processes.
• Experience with Emerson AMS Device Manager, DeltaV, D3, and ControlLogix.
• Instrument experience (Temperature, Flow, pH, O2, Pressure, control valves)
• Experience with OSI PI system products including PI Vision, RtDUET, PI BatchView, and PI Event FramesElectrical Experience (e.g. 15KV distribution switchgear, transformers, breakers, motor control, UPS)
• Understanding of National Electric Code and IEC standards.
• Understanding of motor control circuits and ability to troubleshoot.
• Microsoft Office Suite experience.Job:
Day JobJob Posting:
Human Computer Interaction
Human Machine Interface
Distributed Control Systems
Programmable Logic Controllers