Independently performs a variety of tasks associated with the logging, tracking, staining, and processing of tissue sections in the Mohs Micrographic Surgery Laboratory with assistance as required.
1. Demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform Tissue Sectioning, processing, and embedding.
2. Responsible for the daily set up, break down and maintenance of staining equipment and understands the various chemicals used throughout the process and how they influence tissue staining.
3. Logs specimen and biopsies into daily log with appropriate documentation.
4. Conducts staining of sections and understands when chemicals need to be changed. Shows an understanding of staining theories, allowing reproducible and high-quality staining.
5. Responsible for maintaining a daily quality control log. Runs and checks quality control slides for stain accuracy on a daily basis.
6. Demonstrates proficiency in Mapping Techniques that are used in the Mohs Laboratory.
7. Inputs patient information in the American College of Mohs surgery case log.
8. Demonstrates an understanding of the use and proper maintenance of laboratory equipment, including the stainer and cryostat. Runs the immunostains according to protocol and maintains immunostain log book.
9. Must demonstrate proficiency in Embedding Microtomy techniques. Properly embeds all specimens using slide technique and cuts all tissue at 6 microns using brushes accurately for all tissue types including complex tissues samples and complex 3D structures.
10. Cleans all surfaces in the lab, cleans grossing set up and close inks and cleans and disinfects cryostats. Demonstrates an understanding of laboratory safety, including the ability to handle spills and the use of appropriate Personal Protective Equipment.
11. Is able to troubleshoot problems and make recommendations for improvement reporting these to the senior staff.
12. Performs and evaluates quality control and instrument function checks using established practices.
13. Contributes to development of new protocols, input into improvement of current protocols.
14. Actively participates in ongoing training, quality improvement efforts and lab efficiency research projects including academic papers and publications.
15. Performs routine inking, grossing and immuno staining independently with senior staff accessibility.
16. Performs other duties as required or assigned.
Bachelors of Science or Medical Technology with one (1) year of relevant experience OR Associates of Science or Medical Technology and three (3) years of experience OR 8 years of equivalent laboratory training and experience.
Basic Knowledge of computer software systems
Nationally Recognized Certification or other as approved by Lab Director preferred.
Required Licensure/Certification Skills:
Troubleshooting (Problem Solving)
Patient Information Leaflet