The Food Service Specialist is responsible for preparing and distributing meals and snacks to children enrolled in the Children’s Learning Center (CLC). The Food Service Specialist will maintain a sanitary kitchen environment and comply with established food service guidelines as defined by the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP), Public Health Department, Childcare Licensing, and Oakland Family Services. Additionally, the Food Service Specialist will assist in the opening of the center and provide ratio coverage in classrooms as needed.
The Food Service Specialist reports to the Early Childhood Education Supervisor.
SPECIFIC DUTIES/JOB EXPECTATIONS
- Daily preparation of nutritious meals and snacks for children enrolled in CLC program according to CACFP and Childcare Licensing guidelines.
- Collaborate with ECE Program Coordinator on meal and menu planning.
- Inventory and order food and food service items.
- Responsible for the unpacking and shelving of food deliveries from vendors.
- Complete record keeping in accordance with CACFP and Childcare Licensing guidelines.
- Maintain industry standard cleaning and sanitizing in the kitchen, including: dishes, food storage, preparation areas, refrigerator, cooking and warming equipment and other storage areas.
- Maintain ongoing awareness of food allergies present in the center and able to provide safe and healthy food substitutes for children with allergies.
- Maintain standards of quality in classroom settings as required by Childcare Licensing, Great Start to Quality, CACFP and NAEYC accreditation.
- Assist in maintaining accurate records of children’s attendance, meal records, incident reports, medication, and allergies as needed.
- Assist in supervising and ensuring the health, safety and well being of each child.
- Participate in professional development opportunities as required by the Agency, licensing and funding requirements.
- Participate in Agency and program activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to be physical and capable of successfully managing an early learning environment. The employee is frequently required to sit and/or stand for 8 hours or more. Staff must have the ability to reach with hands and arms and must occasionally lift and move up to 25 pounds.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- 1-3 years of experience working in food service.
- ServeSafe Certification preferred.
- Knowledge of child development preferred.
- Communication skills that focus on positive and professional communication with parents and children.
- Abilities and skills in the team approach to problem solving and task completion.
- Shows sensitivity to cultural differences.
- Other relevant qualifications that support positive performance in the position.
- Special abilities and skill that are necessary to perform the required tasks and that best meet the needs of the Agency also will be considered. Any standard above may be waived when compensating specifications or circumstances exist.
Oakland Family Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Complex Problem Solving