A new job is a big decision. Don't work just anywhere. Be Selective!
Selective is a midsized U.S. domestic property and casualty insurance company with a history of strong financial performance for over 95 years. Focused on exceptional employee and customer experience, we are frequently recognized for awards and honors, including being named to Forbes' 2021 Best Workplaces in Financial Services and Insurance list.
We genuinely care about each other, our customers, and the communities in which we operate. Our leaders actively champion career development and invite us to voice unique ideas and diverse perspectives. If that sounds appealing, we think you would feel inspired on our team to achieve and be rewarded for extraordinary results.
Selective Insurance is seeking a Small Business Underwriter/Sr SBU for either our Allentown, PA or Hunt Valley, MD office.
As a Small Business Underwriter you will underwrite and market new small business accounts within the lowest levels of authority for assigned agencies. You will also assist Agency Management Specialists with their efforts to fully capitalize on small account production opportunities. You will partner effectively with field underwriting staff to seek out and develop these opportunities and provide responsive support and guidance to agents.
* Responsible for new small business (
* Work within specific letter of authority to quote, accept, decline and modify risks within territorial assignment in accordance with accepted underwriting guidelines. Refer all outside of authority to Small Business Territory Manager or Agency Management Specialist.
* Apply knowledge and understanding of coverage forms, rating plans and underwriting guidelines in the selection and pricing of individual risks. Ensure adequate pricing of individual risks through proper classification, accuracy of information and adherence to company underwriting standards and philosophy.
* Answer incoming calls from agents on coverage, billing questions, and making adjustments to policy information based upon prescribed authority for new business submissions ("small business" accounts under $25,000) on Commercial Property and Casualty lines of business. Effectively communicate underwriting decisions and appetite to agents.
* Work in unison with Agents, Regional Underwriters and AMS's and other departments within the Selective community to grow a profitable book of "small business" based on agency/territory/team assignments. Actively markets small business product to agents and travels within assigned territory, as necessary.
* Reinforce the ease of doing business with Selective by meeting or exceeding agent expectations and service quality on a consistent basis. Communicate openly and in a timely fashion. Drive agent adoption of our technology through our training efforts in CLAS.
* Monitor premium growth for each "small business" segment, within assigned territory, with the use of electronic reporting tools. Continually conduct profit and growth analysis by territory and agency as assigned.
* Develop and maintain effective working relationships with manager, peers and agents. Communicate openly and in a timely fashion to team members on individual progress and shares information.
* Develops knowledge of industry information, products, competitors, and customer preferences.
* Responsible for automobile travel within territory traveling to agent offices. Car travel represents approximately 10-20% of employee's time.
* College degree preferred
* Minimum of 1 year of underwriting and/or marketing experience preferred
* Designations of AU or CIC or CPCU preferred.
* Demonstrate proficiency in usage of all supplied desktop tools, including the automated underwriting and email systems.
* Ability and desire to develop and execute pro-active marketing strategies.
* Ability to effectively communicate with agents while applying the appropriate sense of urgency.
* Must be able to build effective relationships with agents, regional underwriting, management and peers.
* Position requires ability to travel and a valid state issued driver's license in good standing.
Job Grade or Level will be based on experience.
Selective is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. That means we respect and value every individual's unique opinions, beliefs, abilities, and perspectives. We are committed to promoting a welcoming culture that celebrates diverse talent, individual identity, different points of view and experiences - and empowers employees to contribute new ideas that support our continued and growing success. Building a highly engaged team is one of our core strategic imperatives, which we believe is enhanced by diversity, equity, and inclusion. We expect and encourage all employees and all of our business partners to embrace, practice, and monitor the attitudes, values, and goals of acceptance; address biases; and foster diversity of viewpoints and opinions.
Selective maintains a drug-free workplace.
- Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter
- Marketing Strategies
- Self Motivation
- Service Quality