To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Lake Forest, IL
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Data Engineer III
Grainger • Lake Forest, IL
Posted 1 month ago
Grainger is North America’s leading Maintenance Repair & Operating provider and we are the 10th largest North American E-commerce player with over 50% of our revenue coming from online transactions. Within the Enterprise Systems team we use technology to support the ever-changing and dynamic needs of a supply chain carrying 1.5 million products and an employee base of 25,000+; and we are committed to delivering technical solutions to support the business in its mission to stay atop. We deliver technology solutions across the enterprise including our call centers, branch network, sales, and our various digital channels. The team supports over 1000 applications across the network and operates in an agile environment to deliver complex solutions quickly and seamlessly. The team of 500+ is comprised of Infrastructure + Operations, Cyber Security, Technology Planning, Architecture and Engineering and are built in a way to support the dynamic and ever changing customer landscape.
Key Technologies / Framework: Java, J2EE, Ruby on Rails, RDBS, NoSQL, Lucene, SOLR
Grainger is seeking a Data Engineer III for our Information Management practice. The role is involved in designing, implementing and managing the data and analysis platforms and infrastructure, and works closely with Architects, Data Analysts, and others to determine what data management systems are appropriate for specific solutions. The role builds and maintains data management systems that combine core data sources into data lakes or other accessible structures to support integrations, reporting and analytical systems. In this role you will be focused on delivery and support for our current big data platform. The ideal candidate has prior experience working in big data, experience with Hadoop, and deep experience in traditional relational databases, and data integration. The Data Engineer III will be involved in growing and developing the Hadoop platform – both on premises and in the AWS cloud.
This position can be based in either downtown Chicago or Lake Forest, Illinois with occasional travel between the two locations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Build and maintain data management systems.
- Perform data conversion, data imports, data exports and transformations.
- Support a Hadoop installation leveraged primarily by Data Scientists and the Marketing organization.
- Develop and maintain a data dictionary.
- Design and implement processes to ensure data integrity and standardization.
- Continuously improve the Hadoop environment to ensure they are highly performant and provide an optimal end user experience.
- Implements data reliability, efficiency, and quality improvements.
- Ability to bring complex concepts into the organization and mentor others.
- Demonstrated ability to learn independently as well as from others. Push for improvement by bringing new ideas into the organization.
- 5+ years of experience within Data Warehousing and Analytics with demonstrable experience in data integration and data warehouse projects.
- Proven experience with big data technologies (Hadoop, Sqoop, Hue, MapReduce, Kafka, Hive, Spark, Ranger).
- Prior experience building on Cloud technology providers (preference for AWS but open to Azure or GCP) is a plus.
- Experience working with code repositories and continuous integration (i.e. Git, Jenkins, etc..).
- Coding proficiency in at least one modern programming language (i.e. Python, Scala, or Java) is a strong plus.
- Experience with Data Steward Studio (DSS) and Data Lifecycle Manager (DLM) is a plus.
- Working knowledge of Teradata is a plus.
- Experience working in an agile development environment.
- Attention to detail, excellent problem-solving ability, and strong communication skills (written and verbal).
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent experience
Grainger is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.