AAP is seeking a Director of Energy and Real Estate to oversee strategy, programs, and initiatives utilizing renewable energy resources, energy procurement, and real estate strategy for our distribution centers and corporate offices. This role will have enterprise responsibility and engagement on energy strategy and supply chain responsibility for real estate and facilities. This position will work directly with our Director of Sustainability, ESG Committee, and our Energy Committee on goal setting and meeting our Science Based Targets Initiative (SBTi) goals around emissions reduction, CDP initiatives, and our overall sustainability goals.
The Director will place strategies and goals for projects, oversee timelines for the work, verify projects are executed within the allocated budget, and manage the effort of the stakeholders within the project team. This role will have direct reports including Project Managers working directly or indirectly and a Facilities and Office Services Manager.
This role will implement new technologies, oversee energy procurement strategies, find cost reduction opportunities, manage initiatives, and engage with cross-functional teams regarding topics associated with energy consumption saving, energy-related capital projects, renewable energy, carbon emissions and critical environments.
This role will also help senior leaders make decisions around footprint required for our supply chain network. This position will work with our Supply Chain Transformation team, Supply Chain Leadership Team, and our operational and strategic Real Estate teams. This position will report to the SVP of EHS, Sustainability, Risk, and Industrial Real Estate.
- Work with 3rd party providers and internal partners to execute multi-year renewable energy strategy.
- Oversee project managers and coordinators of specific projects and work in a cross functional collaborative manner
- In partnership with other company leaders, execute efforts around Tax Equity Investments, VPPA (Virtual Power Purchase Agreements), RECs (Renewable Energy Credits) and other mechanisms to achieve our Science Based Target and reduction in emissions.
- Work with Fleet and Logistics teams on fleet optimization and cost effective technologies and investments to achieve sustainability goals and reduce overall costs
- Support our Tier 1 and Tier 2 ESG Materiality objectives and help align our ESG strategy with our day to day business activities and our AOP planning
- Ability to read, understand and analyze complex construction documents, reports and drawings.
- Work with facilities representatives to commission and re-commission new equipment. Assist clients with defining project scope, request bids and awarding contracts. Direct and manage the development and execution of comprehensive capital improvement projects toward energy use reduction.
- Lead a project team to investigate, develop, and implement energy and carbon related projects (such as solar PV, energy storage, LED lighting retrofits, HVAC, BMS, water fixture and meter retrofits, and electrification)
- Understand basic systems architecture of HVAC and Renewable Systems in order to identify project requirements (structural, electrical, mechanical requirements)
- Understand and report energy impact from project implementation
- Collaborate with design engineers, operations team, and energy and sustainability team to optimize system design
- Working with data analytics team on support system integration and approach for extracting/reporting data
- Support Director of Sustainability with annual energy and carbon reporting
- Work with Store Operations, Supply Chain, IT, and other teams on IoT (internet of things) technology and devices on energy optimization
- Oversee and successfully closeout commissioning process and documentation.
- Develop and implement quality control methodologies for project execution, where applicable
- Collaborate cross functionally across Advance Auto Parts with various business partners
- Bachelor Degree; Sustainable Building, Real Estate, Engineering, Construction Management, EHS, Facilities, or similar field.
- 10 - 15 years of related experience
- History of working with energy utilities on VPPA, Tax Equity Investment, and creative approaches to achieving renewal energy and Scope 1,2 & 3 energy reductions
- Knowledge of Energy Storage, HVAC and control upgrades, LED lighting retrofits. Demonstrated success as an effective manager and leader.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Tools, and energy management tools
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Have excellent written and verbal commutation skills.
- PMP certification is highly encouraged.
- Experience with LEED certification is a plus
- Architectural Drawing
- Certified Project Management Professional
- Construction Management
- Data Analysis
- Energy Management