The Service Technician IFR is responsible for in-house and in-field service programs, including fire extinguishers, fire detection/suppression systems, respiratory service, air packs, and instrumentation on which he/she has been properly trained. The incumbent continually maintains the latest repair techniques for service equipment and, where appropriate, advises the proper salesperson of the condition of the equipment serviced as well as any potential customer requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (Include the following. Other duties may be assigned)
- Actively supports the Company’s Quality process to achieve total satisfaction of external and internal customer’s requirements, striving for error-free work.
- Responsible for repairs to all equipment requiring service from the customer.
- Contacts customers on repairs that require estimates.
- Organizes and maintains current inventory keeping an adequate level of replacement parts on hand and advises Service Manager of upcoming inventory requirements.
- Maintains records of all repairs received in progress work and completed work.
- Picks up and delivers repairs to the customer facility when necessary.
- Prepares all work orders relating to a repair job, including repair times and submits this information into the system.
- Ensures that all rental, demo, and service center equipment is in good working condition.
- Performs all work necessary for the hydro testing and refilling of cylinders.
- Completes all required inspection reports as mandated by regulatory agencies, D.O.T., OSHA, etc.
- Ensures that all internal paperwork is completed properly for invoicing purposes
- Interacts with customers and promotes positive customer relations.
- Assists in maintaining and promoting a safe working environment for all Vallen associates.
- Contributes to team efforts to improve the organization’s efficiency and effectiveness as a participant in team building and group problem-solving sessions.
- Strives for continuous improvement by offering suggestions that could improve the process, procedures, or safety.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School or GED
- Minimum 1 Certification (manufacturing/state) in a fire protection related field
- NICET II + 3-5 years exp or
- Fire Alarm & Ext A +3-5 yrs exp or
- WBS Construction 3-5 yrs exp
- Experience in the maintenance, repair, and service of fire extinguishers, fire detection/suppression systems, respiratory equipment, air packs, and instrumentation is required.
- Ability to repair and service equipment sold by Vallen.
- Current Motor Vehicle License with a good driving record
- Commercial Drivers License required if carrying loads of hazardous materials
- Proficient with hand tools.
- Able to complete repairs and maintenance of equipment in a timely and accurate manner
- Able to provide assistance, advice, and training to Vallen associates and plant personnel.
- Assist warehouse personnel with order fulfillment if needed.
Work Environment (Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.):
- Working conditions will vary but generally, service work is performed inside buildings that have regulated temperatures, and low-level noise levels.
- The possibility of working in hazardous environments when working within a plant would require safety precautions and appropriate equipment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- Occasional lifting of items weighing a maximum of 75 pounds
- Bending, climbing, and stooping as needed for access of equipment to repair and service
Vallen is an industry leader in delivering flexible supply chain solutions and services along with a comprehensive range of maintenance, repair, operating, production, safety, and electrical products to meet the growing supply needs of customers in facilities across North America and around the world. Vallen is headquartered in Belmont, NC and is a subsidiary of Sonepar USA, part of the global Sonepar family.
Stay up to date with Vallen, follow us on LinkedIn and Facebook,
What are the Benefits?
401K Plan, Health Insurance (medical, dental, and vision), Paid Vacation, Paid Sick, Paid Personal, Paid Holidays, Flexible Spending Accounts (Health and Dependent Care), Employee Assistance Program, Tuition Reimbursement, Employee Discounts, and a definitive career path.
- Team Building
- Customer Relationship Management
- Fire Alarm Systems
- Complex Problem Solving