Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Director, Strategy & Growth is the overall project lead across high-complexity, multi-workstream engagements and oversees managers of individual workstreams. Overall responsibility is to own, coordinate, and harmonize the overall approach. The Director serves as principal point of day to day contact with client and establishes optimal communication cadence with C-Suite executives. This role ensures workstream managers are coordinated and output is consistent and aligned. The Director focuses on engagement economics and directs team to follow the practices needed to ensure both quality and profitability.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Overall project lead across high-complexity, multi-workstream engagements with ability to accurately diagnose the issues the client has identified (as well as underlying issues) and determine the appropriate solutions that will lead the client to create strategic direction
- Build consensus among senior client stakeholders who play a critical role in the client’s ability to successfully implement the identified solutions
- Oversees managers and team members of individual workstreams with responsibility to own, coordinate, and harmonize the overall approach
- Industry expert in one or more areas and uses engagements to advance own knowledge (e.g., enterprise strategy, value-based care, population health, consumer, digital, revenue diversification, partnerships)
- Principal point of day to day contact for client executive and establishes optimal communication cadence with C-Suite executives
- Critical role in developing project team members and direct reports to expand their skills
- Accountable for budget and timelines of project across all workstreams
- Focuses on project economics and directs team to follow practices needed to ensure both quality and profitability including close monitoring of actual vs. expected team utilization
- Effectively and appropriately apply both deductive and inductive thinking
- Provide subject matter expertise to other Optum Advisory Services and Optum/UnitedHealth Group Company business units as it relates to strategy development
- Provide support to other Optum Advisory Services and Optum/UnitedHealth Group Company business units when strategy expertise is required in addressing client issues
- Communicate effectively and accurately in writing and verbally to prospects, clients, and other staff
- Demonstrate strong relationship management skills and ability to handle challenging interpersonal situations
- Contribute to business development efforts – both add-on work as well as new business
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Relevant Advanced Degree (MBA/MPH/MHA, etc.) with 5+ years consulting experience OR Bachelor's Degree with 10+ years consulting experience
- Minimum of five (5+) years of experience in either management or strategy consulting
- Previous healthcare experience (payer/provider)
- Previous business development experience and success
- Experience with project management, developing and presenting deliverables to C-suite executives, and analytics
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite – Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Ability to travel domestically, up to 60%-80%
- Demonstrated familiarity with variety of problem-solving approaches
- Client relationship management experience
- Ability to drill down to the root cause of issues and be creative in problem solving
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders
- Graduate level degree in business or healthcare
- 5+ years of professional experience preferably in healthcare
- Experience in healthcare consulting
- Experience generating at least $1M annually in new sales
- Experience leading strategic initiatives and/or strategy work
- Experience managing projects that achieved budget and timeline goals
- Possess analytical reasoning and solution-focus problem solving
- Ability to lead and motivate cross-functional teams
- Experience working in and successfully navigating a matrixed environment
- Experience mentoring junior level staff and leading direct reports
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world?s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $110,200 to $211,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Director Strategy Consulting, Washington DC, Telecommute