Responsible for the safe maintenance, repair or replacement of plant equipment and systems, to ensure maximum production quantity and quality, while supporting the policies, goals and objectives of the company.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES:
1. Member of the Plant Leadership Team. Participate in setting objectives, plan development and performance review of plant performance.
2. Initiate, implement, and manage the plant maintenance program based on best practices in the ethanol industry, with an emphasis on planning/scheduling and preventive/predictive maintenance.
3. Monitor the use and inventories of spare parts, maintenance supplies, and equipment and initiate reordering when necessary.
4. Maintain and repair maintenance shop equipment.
5. Establish and maintain computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) for tracking work orders, spare parts, and maintenance history of plant equipment.
6. Prepare reports, analyze data, and make recommendations for improving plant operations or solving maintenance-related problems.
7. Supervise plant maintenance personnel. Ensure that maintenance technicians are adequately trained, equipped, and motivated so that the maintenance program can be accomplished in a safe, timely, and cost-effective manner.
8. Communicate regularly with maintenance technicians, both individually and as a group, to ensure good two-way communication concerning maintenance issues.
9. Assist with hiring of maintenance personnel. Conduct employee performance reviews based on job descriptions to determine competency, knowledge, and contribution of the maintenance technicians.
10. Maintain and update operating and training manuals for the maintenance department.
11. Ensure that all maintenance technicians are trained on the most updated version of the operating procedures.
12. Monitor operation of plant equipment and systems. Review the operation of plant equipment and systems constantly, to minimize unplanned downtime, anticipate solve problems in a timely manner, and to identify opportunities for improvement.
13. Initiate and carry out projects to improve efficiency and/or reduce operating costs.
14. Track, analyze and improve key maintenance parameters such as asset utilization, maintenance cost, PM compliance, schedule compliance, etc.
15. Maintain safety, health, and environmental policies and procedures. Ensure city, county, state, and federal regulations relating to the maintenance department are met at all times.
16. Direct, maintain, and enforce the safety program for the maintenance department; review safety records to uphold standards of maximum safety for all maintenance technicians.
17. Communicate directly with the operations department to coordinate maintenance and repair work in process areas. Communicate directly with QA laboratory to ensure effective participation by the maintenance technicians in the implementation of QA policies and procedures.
18. Implement programs and procedures required to ensure plant cleanliness.
19. Assist with planning and implementing plant improvements and expansions.
20. Drive startup effort at the facility; therefore, participate in staffing effort, lead spare part procurement effort, lead maintenance training effort, identify/secure critical supply and service agreements, lead the maintenance group during checkout and commissioning of the facility, etc.
21. Assist with interviewing, hiring, and training maintenance employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Associates degree from two-year college in a related technical field or certificate or diploma from trade school in related field and 5 years experience in the maintenance and/or operation of a process manufacturing facility or equivalent combination of education and experience
Required Knowledge & Experience:
In-depth knowledge of the ethanol plant, chemical plant or refinery maintenance preferred
Experience with repairs and maintenance of processing equipment required
Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite required
Knowledge of general office equipment required
Ability to work effectively with Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) and instruct others on its operation
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Strong creative and organizational skills
Ability to interact professionally and effectively with internal and external customers
Ability to maintain good relationships with internal and external customers, use tact and diplomacy, and possess a customer service focus
Strong analytical abilities, problem solving skills, negotiation skills, dispute resolution and ability to overcome obstacles
Manage multiple priorities with efficiency and accuracy
Ability to anticipate needs and accomplish necessary tasks
Strong motivational ability
Act with honesty and integrity
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION:
Some time will be spent in a temperature-controlled office-based environment at the plant office. Ability to sit for long periods of time. Able to view computer screen for lengths at a time. Significant time will be spent in the plant. All types of chemical industry equipment are used in the plant to include, but not limited to fermentation vessels, jet cookers, agitators, mixing and milling equipment, distillation columns, centrifuges and distributive control systems. May be exposed to loud noises, wet and humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic chemicals, extreme hot and cold depending on weather conditions. Must be able to climb ladders and work at elevations of 175 feet. Must be able to speak and listen clearly. Fine visual acuity to read for accuracy. Travel required or as needed.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH: This job may require lifting of up to 50 pounds regularly.