Provides financial counseling to patients and assists them in accessing financial resources. Works collaboratively with CRMC staff and external agencies and vendors to facilitate necessary application and qualification screening processes. Maintains communication and follows up with patients during their course of treatment.
- Identifies eligible patients (e.g. self-pay status) through reports from the Epic System and other sources. Receives referrals from Case Management, physicians, or nurses on patients needing financial navigation/assistance.
- Investigates and verifies patient benefits to determine patient financial obligation for course of treatment and meet with patient to discuss.
- Assists patients with completing FMLA, financial liability or disability forms.
- Works with leadership to ensure current working knowledge of billing system and processes.
- Works closely with patients and Patient Financial Services (PFS) to provide patient with an out of pocket estimate prior to treatment, to resolve account balance issues and establish payment plans.
- Works collaboratively with other CRMC staff and external resources to identify other various sources of funding mechanisms and/or alternatives to reduce the cost of treatment.
- Reviews individual billing information to identify any outstanding payor amounts and if accounts are in bad debt. Documents all patient visits including those regarding finances and medications.
AREA SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
CANCER CENTER: Responsible for the Medication Assistance/Recovery Program; assists patients with medication/recovery assistance forms. Verifies medications are received and completes a tracking form for each medication, along with the educational sheet to be provided for each medication along with a reminder to reschedule another appointment in six weeks before medications run out.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified and employees may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrates effective communication and listening skills
- Ability to follow appropriate lines of authority
- Must be highly organized, well spoken, and discrete
- Strong Personal computer, hardware and software skills (i.e., spreadsheet Excel/access database)
- Understands CRMC Corporate Compliance Program
- Understands HIPAA and confidentiality requirements
- Knowledge of Patient’s rights
- Strong customer service techniques and Personal Service Excellence (PSE) skills
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical and pharmacy procedure
- Understands accounting principles
- Understands community resources to maximize the benefit-to-cost ratio for all vested parties
- Strong data gathering, compilation, reporting and database management
- Demonstrates prioritization and time management
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Two years of experience in a healthcare setting working with patient finance, insurance benefits, financial assistance programs or other related field or a combination
- Active Listening
- Case Management