Summary Job Description POSITION SUMMARY:
Phlebotomists are vital in the production of clinical laboratory results. It is their responsibility to obtain quality blood specimens which play a crucial role in in a majority clinical decisions. In addition to a knowledge of anatomy, blood collection techniques, proper infection control procedures, phlebotomists must have strong communication and interpersonal skills reflecting the utmost professionalism. (This job description is applicable to Penn Medicine/Lancaster General Health Phlebotomy Technician positions assigned within the Lancaster General Hospital (inpatient) and at the Womens & Babies Hospital (WBH).LOCATION:
Lancaster General HospitalHOURS:
Full Time (40 hours a week), Evening shift, 2:30pm -11:00pm, EOW Holiday/On-call rotation1,000 SIGN ON BONUS (External applicants only) ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- In a hospital inpatient setting, performs venipuncture and capillary puncture blood collection according to laboratory policies, procedures, and regulatory standards. This includes Intensive Care Units, Medical Nursing Units, Emergency Department, and Trauma Bay.
- Optimizes patient care by providing timely and accurate collection of blood specimens on both pediatric and adult patients.
- Maintains patient safety by accurately identifying patients and associating the collected sample with the patient.
- Follows all proper organizational Infection Control procedures and isolation protocols, including but not limited to Airborne, Droplet, and Contact Isolation.
- Uses technology such as computer applications to organize and facilitate efficient patient care.
- Works continually within multidisciplinary teams. This includes but is not limited to response to code situations (patient requiring resuscitative efforts) such as Trauma, Stroke, Hemodynamic Stability, and Cardiac events.
- Performs blood collection in environments of extreme stress and difficult emotional situations with proficiency.
- Navigate and mitigate work within a hazardous environment utilizing critical thinking and situational awareness.
- Carries out lab testing at the bedside with point of care testing devices including performance, evaluation, and trouble shooting of quality control on bedside analyzers.
- Provide compassionate care in a professional manner.
The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Facilitates on-boarding of new staff
- Participates in activities for maintenance of CAP and ISO15189 accreditation.
- Serves as point person by assuming departmental roles pertaining to Safety, Charge, Materials Management.
- For positions at WBH, duties also include the following:
• Identifies specimens and accurately matches identification parameters. Correctly labels all specimen types. Takes action to reconcile identification concerns.
• Competently processes specimens within specified lab area.
• Performs clerical functions such as answering the phone, checking physician orders on requisitions and document filing.
• Enters specimen information and related data into laboratory information system (LIS).
• Identifies and resolves problems within area of expertise.
• Ability to operate instrumentation appropriate to specified lab area.
JOB REQUIREMENTS MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Other duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalentPREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Certification as a Phlebotomist.
- Experience in a health care setting.
- Customer care experience.
This job description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. It is intended to be a reflection of those principal job elements essential for recruitment and selection, for making fair job evaluations, and for establishing performance standards. The percentages of time spent performing job duties are estimates, and should not be considered absolute. The incumbent shall perform all other functions and/or be cross-trained as shall be determined at the sole discretion of management, who has the right to amend, modify, or terminate this job in part or in whole. Incumbent must be able to perform all job functions safely. #LI-MD1 #CBBenefits At A Glance:
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH offers the following benefits to employees:
- 100% Tuition Assistance at The Pennsylvania College of Health Sciences
- Paid Time Off and Paid Holidays
- Shift, Weekend and On-Call Differentials
- Health, Dental and Vision Coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Retirement Savings Account with Company Matching
- Child Care Subsidies
- Onsite Gym and Fitness Classes
PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH , and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by PENN MEDICINE LANCASTER GENERAL HEALTH as a result of the referral or through other means.
LGH Full Time Posted on 06/15/2022
- Clinical Works
- Critical Care
- Critical Thinking
- Customer Service