Oversee and provide support to various accounting functions within the corporate accounting operation and/or business unit accounting operations, as required. Produce accurate and timely financial statements for the business unit and for its subsidiaries. Support business units, business unit subsidiaries, and entities in recording and reporting financial transactions in an accurate and timely manner.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES (means principal, main, major or most important duties / accountabilities that the employee performs)
Item Accountability 1 Supports preparation and delivery of corporation’s monthly financial statement close process. Primary owner of all accounting or regulatory reporting. Ensures financial transactions are recorded accurately and timely, and analyzes and reviews financial statements for given area of responsibility. Responsible for complete and accurate preparation of all required reports on a quarterly and annual basis. 20%
2 Prepares, reviews or approves account reconciliations for corporation’s entities and accounts, as required. 25%
3 Prepares the monthly reporting packages for corporate entities including analysis of current actual results to prior period actual results for corporation- for use in Board and Senior Management reporting and external reporting. 10%
4 Supports the implementation of changes in Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). 5%
5 Supports in the accounting, analysis and budgeting of various accounts. 15%
6 Consults and liaises with operating unit finance personnel on accounting issues. 10%
7 Cooperates in special projects and special requests as required for the Controller’s Group. 10%
8 Interacts with internal and external auditors, Corporate Controller’s Department and business units as required to accomplish goals. 5%
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or general business administration.
Experience is typically career level (8-10 years) in accounting, financial reporting or related field. Recent public accounting (Big Four, Grant Thornton, RSM), working in a Controllership group of a Fortune 500 publicly traded company and/or Utility experience (in the last 2 years) is required
Experience with Financial Statement Consolidations and/or Derivative Accounting is a plus.
Demonstrated knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
Demonstrated supervisory experience
Commitment to highest standards of quality and integrity
Solid financial, mathematical and analytical capabilities
Exhibit professionalism and stay current on technical accounting, reporting and professional development
MBA in Finance, Accounting or Economics
• Under minimal supervision, perform assigned financial accounting and/or reporting in compliance with internal reporting processes, and applicable regulatory bodies.
• Proactively notify Supervisor or Director of any accounting/reporting issues or concerns.
• Work closely with other departments and business units regarding accounting activities.
• Supervise and provide review and approval of a variety of accounting assignments
• Position has significant impact to the timely completion and delivery of financial information and reports that in turn has impact on the work of those who compile the overall consolidated corporation financials. Potential financial loss to Corporation and/or its entities may result if work output fails to meet expected deadlines, accuracy, and quality.
• Has moderate to significant impact on budget decisions. Impact on day-to-day operations focuses on operating decisions at the major project or functional level. Work may be subject to occasional review. Generally operates with wide latitude for unreviewed action or decision. May participate in planning processes at major project and departmental level.
• Work involves internal and external contacts that require satisfactory disposition, substantial adjustment, and/or changes in established standards or procedures. Contact with others requires tact, persuasiveness, minimum deviation from standard routings or the making of incidental adjustments to facilitate delivery of services or work output. Must be able to develop effective relationships with various parties, both within the Controller’s Group (G/L, Revenue, Plant, Tax) as well as other areas of the company (FP&A, operating groups, etc.) to enhance and improve processes.
• Work is diversified and somewhat complex in nature.
• Work output has considerable impact on the work of other financial functions, reporting and decision making processes. Impact on earnings focuses on appropriate utilization / development of resources and critical disruption of service possibilities.
• Supervise assigned staff including development, staffing, performance assessment, work review, etc. Day to day supervisory responsibilities are limited but, depending on size and accounting complexity of assigned entity, may provide lead direction to junior level individuals assigned to specific project or work group. Work leadership is generally administrative in nature and typically involves functional direction to others assigned to assist on an occasional to moderate basis.
• Position, at times, may require overtime, weekend work and limited travel.
Position Requirements: Minimum of 5 years of experience in large public accounting firm or large public corporation. Role requires reviewing contracts to apply appropriate accounting so much have a solid understanding of US GAAP. Candidate will prepare journal entries, account reconciliations and validate public disclosures. Candidate must have good interpersonal skills as they will partner with finance and operations to complete required tasks. Accounting degree required. CPA/MB preferred.
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
Master Of Business Administration (Mba)