To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Nashville TN, TN
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
This email address has reached the maximum of 5 email alerts. To create a new alert, you will need to log into your email and unsubscribe from at least one.
Email Send Failed!
Material Damage Adjuster - Resident
Shelter Mutual Insurance Company • Nashville TN, TN
Posted 12 days ago
Get facts about other applicants with a CareerBuilder Account
A company built to serve you. It's your career, Shelter it!
The Material Damage Adjuster investigates, analyzes, evaluates and settles insurance claims involving automobile and property material damage losses. Determines values of a claim and negotiates settlements within limits of authority, in accordance with established procedures and consistent with legal and contractual obligations. May be assigned duties with regard to catastrophe teams for auto and property losses. Position specializes in adjusting claims with some degree of physical inspection. Requires the ability to perform the essential functions of the position with or without a reasonable accommodation. Due to the duties and responsibilities of this position, consumer reports will be run on final candidates. This position requires a four year college degree or equivalent job related experience. A minimum of two years general business experience in an insurance setting is desired.
This is a position where the adjuster works from home, living in and servicing the middle Tennessee area. The adjuster must live in or around this area in order to provide the level of customer service expected. Home office equipment and company vehicle provided.
Minimum starting salary: $17.80- $29.29 per hour
If interested, please apply by:06/22/2018
- Reviews assigned loss reports to determine extent of investigation and additional information needed. Reads, analyzes and interprets insurance policies and endorsements and bulletins and applies to claims situations. Applies read-in/read-out approach to determine policy coverage. Verifies coverage limits, effective dates and possible restriction or exclusions.
- Investigates to establish facts of the claim. Reviews police reports, weather reports, records from ISO database, fire reports and other pertinent information to verify losses.
- Reviews details and evaluates claim based on evidence obtained in the investigation. Sets and adjusts reserves.
- Inspects damaged vehicles, prepares estimates utilizing computerized estimating tools, handles auto valuations and performs reinspections as needed. Inspects damaged property and prepares estimates utilizing computerized estimating tools. Reviews and negotiates estimates and appraisals presented by customers. Coordinates rental vehicles. Works with salvages facilities, handling salvage issues including documentation in accordance with state statues.
- Examines and reviews potential subrogation claims and pursues subrogation according to Company guidelines. Ensures recovery process is initiated and progressing, using techniques necessary to prevent damage to evidence. Obtains other party information to determine Shelter's subrogation rights and places responsible parties on notice of a possible subrogation claim.
- May support other units in investigation of losses, including obtaining photos, performing scene analysis and diagrams, field inspections, statement taking and courthouse searches.
- Prepares and maintains file documentation. Takes recorded statements as needed.
- Communicates with outside vendors, expert consultants, and attorneys.
- Reviews open files on a regular basis and makes contact with insureds, claimants or representatives to determine progress of claim. Documents pending files in writing and reviews with supervisor on a regular basis. Handles proofs of loss according to state statutes, policy and appropriate adjusting guidelines. Negotiates settlement of claims with insureds, claimants and others up to authority limits. Gives written notice to claimants, insureds and legal counsel of denied claims.
- Visits agents' offices and performs duties on catastrophe storm teams as assigned. Provides support to agency force, including policy interpretation, training and general understanding of Claims operations. Assists Underwriting by utilizing Risk Alerts and investigating material misrepresentations on insurance applications.
- Must be able to safely operate an automobile, telephone, fax machine, copy machine, digital camera, personal computer, and miscellaneous office equipment. Resident adjusters must have high-speed Internet access (via DSL or cable modem) from their residence.
- Performs other duties as requested by Branch Claims Supervisor or Branch Claims Manager.
- Essential Duties as described in this document are general in nature and should not be construed as encompassing all duties and/or functions of this job.
- Requires excellent analytical, organizational, and decision-making skills.
- Superior skills in investigation, negotiation, communication and customer service are required.
- Requires good basic but advancing knowledge of automobile repair and property construction.
- Ability to learn through on-the-job training and claims training courses related to the study of insurance policy coverage analysis and interpretation, investigative procedures, construction estimating, and motor vehicle estimating.
- Must possess a valid driver's license supported by a good driving history.
- Must be physically able to travel long distances and lift/move/climb ladders.
- Must be able to work outside in all temperatures and inspect property physically and visually.
- Must be able to travel overnight as job requires.
- Must exhibit strong skills in technology to include keyboarding and familiarity with word processing software, electronic communications, construction estimating software, personal property replacement software, automobile estimating software and Internet research capabilities.
- Ability to maintain schedules and deadlines and work well with others. This is the skill set for an individual at mid point of position. Based upon banding of grades, the skills needed may vary.
- College degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent job-related experience, is required.
- A minimum of two years general business experience is preferred in an insurance setting, demonstrating experience in organization, communication, negotiation and decision-making.
- Responsible for handling claims with accuracy and consistency, following established procedures and authority limits, policy language and provisions, and applicable state and local statutes.
- Responsible for promptly and accurately examining details of each claim assigned and making sound decisions with regard to investigation, gathering of information, and payment or denial in accordance with policy, procedural, and statutory requirements.
- Responsible for properly recording data to claims system to ensure claims are appropriately paid and recorded for statistical data, and completing required reports in a timely manner.
- Responsible for reviewing assigned claims on a regular basis and is accountable for accurate reserves.
- Responsible for maintaining a high level of technical knowledge required for accurate, timely, and efficient claims handling. May be required to acquire and maintain state licenses as applicable.
- Assists with training of Adjusters and other office staff.