The principal purpose of this position is to develop store assortment, define and execute the merchandising strategy, identify areas of merchandising risks and opportunities, and develop action plans to support the buying team in developing and improving the business.
The principal responsibility of this position is develop assortment plans that reflect the financial goals for a category and the merchandising strategy, consider our stores space and place, and improve our overall performance and productivity.
The Assortment Planner
partners with the Financial Planner, Category Director and Category Merchants to define our product assortment.
They will use their keen analytic skills to develop and maintain assortment plans for the Category while investigating top and bottom performing products on a weekly basis and providing recommendations to the Category team.
Their expertise, judgment and proficiency in planning is critical to Dollar Tree’s mission and our success as the #1 value retailer.Position Activity or Responsibility:
- Perform analysis of SKU and historical product performance to assist the Category Merchants with the development of the assortment definition and wedge
- Evaluate Cluster Strategy options to assist with clustering stores to maximize sales and profit while maintaining inventory productivity goals
- Collaborate with Space Planning & Visual Merchandising to ensure assortments maximize stores available space
- Develop item and SKU level plans that project the inventory required to place purchase orders and achieve sales, margin, and turn goals
- Use assortment planning, optimization and clustering software and tools to analyze performance and build plans
- Align item plans to category strategies, merchandise plans and open-to-buy, assessing trade-offs from inclusion of new items, providing merchandise financial planning recommendations
- Analyze actual business performance relative to plans and trends, reporting variances to plan
- Provide item level guidance to the Replenishment Analyst and Allocator as well as item level guidance to product development and store clustering, ensuring alignment to assortment goals
- Prepare reports required for analysis including recap of seasonal performance
- Propose action plans to capitalize on opportunities and mitigate risks