In your role as an Outside Plant Network Engineer you will assist in the creation and interpretation of fiber optic, CATV, and copper/DSL OSP Design maps using Auto Cad, Lode Data and GIS based mapping software. You'll need to understand, interpret, and track progress for numerous projects concurrently in the given market area.
In this position, you will continually monitor design costs of completed project to help improve future project costing. You will also be responsible for leading small group cross functional meetings and driving strategic growth in specific brownfield markets across the given market area. You will also be required to interact with contract consultants to facilitate and monitor OSP design.
You will be responsible for supporting the Right of Way (ROW) Team while they work with various governmental agencies to protect the TDS OSP network from being jeopardized by permitting requirements or proposed road improvements. You may be required to support TDS teams in negotiating with municipalities, other utility companies from a network and a legal perspective for the purchase, lease and/or sale of inner ducts, fiber and/or complete networks.
You will work closely with our sales organization as well as Field Services. It will also work closely with our Right of Way (ROW) team on Easement and Pole Attachments (Make-Ready Processes) and will interact with members of Net Ops Compliance.
This position has the ability to work out of a home office anywhere within Boise, Nampa, or Meridian, Idaho. Travel to these markets will be required.
Additionally, this position can be hired at either a Network Engineer, Network Engineer I, Network Engineer II, or Senior Network Engineer level depending on the skills and qualifications of the candidate. Different job postings exist for each of these positions. Please reference each job posting for the minimum qualifications required for each role.
TDS Telecommunications LLC (TDS Telecom/TDS®) delivers high-speed internet, TV entertainment, and phone services to more than 1,000 rural, suburban, and metropolitan communities across the U.S. With 1.2 million connections, TDS is a rapidly growing technology company. Powered by fiber-optics and new industry-leading technologies, TDS delivers up to 2 Gigabit internet speeds and offers internet-protocol based TV entertainment solutions along with traditional phone services. TDS also offers businesses VoIP advanced communications solutions, dedicated internet service, data networking, and hosted-managed services. Visit tdstelecom.com.
* Effectively communicate with Project Managers and adjacent teams in order to facilitate cost-effective construction of OSP facilities under advanced timelines.
* Responsible for the design of OSP projects and/or supervision of consultants who are responsible for coordinating outside plant design in multiple locations and/or states.
* Creating labor, material, and overheads project cost estimates.
* Provide Engineering support for Sales teams by fulfilling OSP facilities verification requests, and high level OSP design costing exercises.
* Provide technical and strategic input in evaluating high level network design.
* Review all OSP designed projects to ensure field services requested plan of action, ISP and OSP solution are aligned and accurate.
* Verify that all documentation required to complete project handoffs, including as-staked design, contractor Cost estimates, Unit pull sheet, purchase order requests, ROW maps, PRC and WBS funding is complete.
* Create and perform analysis on network designs for the OSP teams to utilize for future project cost modeling.
* Partner with Regional Field Services and OSP Construction (OSPC) members on engineering of network builds.
* Assist in training OSPE team members on OSP design and project process.
* Provide timely updates to the CAA Log regarding project costs and timelines.
* Provide audits of OSP projects and coach consultants and/or contractors to ensure accuracy and consistency. The audits will ensure compliance with National Electrical Code standards and current TDS OSP standards.
* Associate degree (or higher) -OR- 2+ years professional work experience.
* 2+ years experience in Voice, Data, or Video networking.
* Must have and maintain a valid driver's license, reliable transportation and insurance.
* Experience in the construction and design of fiber optic, CATV/coax and copper/DSL networks Auto Cad and Lode Data experience
* Joint Attachment Process/Power CO Make Ready Process experience a plus
* GPON/PON engineering experience a plus
* Brownfield fiber overbuild a plus
* Excellent leadership, customer relations and communications skills across teams a plus
* Thorough Understanding of Telecommunications and CATV industry and principals.
* Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
* Excellent written and oral communications skills
* PC database, spreadsheet and word processing skills are critical
* Advanced working knowledge of NESC construction practices and engineering standards.
* Ability to work in a cooperative and courteous manner with diverse work groups.
* GIS experience, Engineering within GIS program a plus (AGOL)
As a part of your total compensation, #TDS provides a comprehensive, competitive benefit package. This benefit plan addresses both the immediate and long-term needs that you and your family may have. For an overview of what we have to offer for full-time employees including vacation, health benefits, and retirement options, please click here.
At TDS, we embrace Equal Employment Opportunity by valuing our differences and consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by law. To learn about our diversity & inclusion philosophy and culture, click here!
- Auto Cad
- Category 5 Cabling
- Coaching And Mentoring