JOB SUMMARY / GENERAL DESCRIPTION:
A teammate in this job is trained through McLane’s registered apprenticeship program. The teammate learns the essential functions of the Driver job including the accurate and timely distribution of products to various customer locations. The Driver Apprentice gains exposure to warehouse and other operational functions as part of the developmental process of becoming a McLane Driver.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:
A teammate in this job will train side-by-side with a Driver Trainer to acquire the skills necessary to perform the following functions:
- Maneuver tractor into position to attach trailer and handle lines to secure.
- Operates truck in a safe manner in compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations and company policies.
- Inspect tractor-trailer equipment for defects pre/post trip and submit DOT inspection report indicating condition.
- Operates Driver Delivery Handheld (DDH), document delivery receipts/product temperatures and exceptions. Inspects trailer to ensure product is secure for undamaged transport of product.
- Rides and trains with Driver Trainer of tractor-trailer to various destinations, gaining knowledge of commercial driving regulations and observing the Driver’s skill in starting engine properly, approaching intersections, making turns, backing, parking, and maneuvering vehicle on the road and on customer premises.
- Maintain driver log (Manual or PeopleNet) according to DOT regulations, documenting delivery receipt, product temperatures and exceptions.
- Assists the Driver in unloading trailer and delivering product into customer premises.
- Provides customer service including on-time delivery of undamaged product, product returns and issuing valid customer credits.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
A teammate in this position must:
- Have a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Possess a Class A CDL.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Meet eligibility requirements in the McLane Transfer and Promotion Policy.
- Complete training and receive Class A CDL in 6 months or less.
- Ability and willingness to select/load/unload and/or deliver ALL products that may be ordered by McLane customers.
- Ability to stand, walk, sit, climb, reach, bend, squat, and stoop to accomplish the essential job functions.
- Ability to read and comprehend labels, instructions, and bills of lading.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations to verify quantities of product.
- Strong communication skills and able to communicate with internal and external customers, such as customers, management, drivers and teammates.
- Be able to successfully pass a physical capabilities test, drug screen, and criminal background checks.
- Comply with Company Work Rules and Safety Rules.
- Able to safely drive a tractor-trailer, use a 2-wheeled dolly, ramp, and, on board PeopleNet devices.
- The environment encompasses all areas of a distribution center, transportation department, transportation shop and customer facilities.
- Working conditions could contain moderate noise, vibration of vehicle and extreme weather conditions depending on climate.
- Regular and frequent travel, including overnight.
Candidates must pass a background check, drug screen and other job requirements.
McLane is an EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability.
Drive Commercial Vehicle
Apply to this job.
Think you're the perfect candidate?
Help us improve CareerBuilder by providing feedback about this job:
Report this job
Report this Job
Once a job has been reported, we will investigate it further. If you require a response, submit your question or concern to our
Trust and Site Security Team
Job ID: 20924
privacy and protection,
when applying to a job online, never give your social security number to a prospective employer, provide credit card or bank account information, or perform any sort of monetary transaction.
By applying to a job using CareerBuilder you are agreeing to comply with and be subject to the CareerBuilder
Terms and Conditions
for use of our website. To use our website, you must agree with the
Terms and Conditions
and both meet and comply with their provisions.
McLane is one of the most successful supply chain services companies in the US for 3 simple reasons – we hire, foster and promote the most talented and passionate teammates on the planet.
Beyond competitive pay and outstanding benefits, we strive to create an environment for success, where Teammates can truly grow personally and professionally. That’s why the average tenure at McLane is close to 10 years and the majority of our leadership teams have been promoted from within.
We have a winning, growth-driven culture that focuses on the best and the brightest teammates. It’s also why our customers are some of the largest and most respected retailers in America, and the brands we deliver every single day are the ones you know and love.
At McLane there is a sense of pride and dedicated spirit among our teammates that comes from an environment of family and community. We recognize our teammates’ contributions with competitive pay, extensive benefits, industry-leading 401k profit sharing, professional development and much more. And we recognize the communities in which we operate by giving back. Nothing demonstrates this concept more than our dedication to the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. In the past 28 years, our Teammates have collectively helped raise more than 90 million dollars to provide comfort, treatment and hope to individuals in the communities in which they work.
View the full profile
Be a part of something bigger. Make a difference in your life and someone else’s by joining the McLane team today.