To begin the application process, please enter your email address.
Company Contact Info
- Belcamp, MD
Sorry, we cannot save or unsave this job right now.
Report this Job
Saving Your Job Alert
Job Alert Saved!
Could not save Job Alert!
You have too many Job Alerts!
Email Send Failed!
Manager 3 Education
Oak Ridge Associated Universities • Belcamp, MD
Posted 1 month ago
APPOINTMENT TYPE: Full-Time Regular
Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU) provides innovative scientific and technical solutions for the U.S. Department of Energy and other federal agencies to advance national priorities in science, health and education. We do this through our specialized teams of experts and a consortium of more than 120 universities.
To advance national priorities and serve the public interest by integrating academic, government and scientific resources globally.
To be the recognized, preferred leader when national and global priorities require innovative scientific and technical solutions.
• Agility: We will adjust rapidly to changing situations, needs and priorities.
• Customer service: We are mission focused to meet or exceed our customer’s needs.
• Diversity: We appreciate and utilize individual differences to create innovative solutions.
• Employees: We strive to create a culture of empowerment and personal growth where our employees are valued and recognized for their contributions.
• Innovation: We will constantly strive to find creative solutions, drawing upon the resourcefulness of our employees, universities and partners.
• Integrity: We will honor our commitments, holding ourselves accountable to each other and to our customers.
• Quality: We strive to exceed customer performance standards through focus on accuracy, consistency and continuous improvement.
• Safety/security: We will provide a safe and secure work environment to protect our employees, information, customer assets, etc.
• Teamwork: Our strength comes from working together toward a common goal through internal and external partnerships.
For over 72 years, ORAU has been a leader in STEM workforce development, managing co-curricular internship, fellowship and research experiences for the U.S. Department of Energy and 20 federal agencies. Participants in these programs have become award winning scientists, engineers, and faculty whose work has helped transform the US and world economies through novel and innovative research resulting in cutting-edge technological advancements. We now seek an experienced leader with a commitment to education, our mission and values, and our students to lead programs administered by the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) at our Belcamp, Maryland office. Typically, this position supports Department of Defense programs for ~2000 participants annually. Participants include K-12, undergraduate and graduate students, post graduates (BS, MS and PhD), faculty and visiting scientists. Responsibilities generally include developing, planning, coordinating, implementing, administering and evaluating programs as well as the efficient and effective operation of ongoing programs and representing ORISE/ORAU at external venues including professional meetings and site visits with potential and current sponsors. Daily interaction with sponsors, university and laboratory personnel, participants and the general public are an important aspect of the job. Understanding how to supervise an offsite staff of 15-30 individuals is critical.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Working collabortively and in close harmony with the Scientific Assessment and Workforce Development (SAWD) Program Director and Associate Program Director, the Manager 3 Education will execute the ORISE and ORAU strategic plans and work creatively to develop and implement an operations plan that supports alignment between the main Oak Ridge campus and the Belcamp Maryland office. The Manager 3 Education is a driver for change, demonstrating a high level of ethics, integrity, enthusiasm, patience, trustworthiness, honesty, and professional dedication.
Program Management and Implementation
• The Manager 3 Education must successfully manage internship and research experience programs in a complex environment that includes placement of participants at hundreds of hosting laboratories, universities, and other facilities across the U.S. To be successful, the Manager 3 Education must 1) demonstrate and apply knowledge of current trends and issues in higher education as they relate to graduate and undergraduate education, 2) maintain an understanding of federal science policy and the roles of university and laboratory R&D programs as they relate to federal research objectives, 3) keep current with the role of education-based programs and sponsors within the federal laboratory system and anticipate changes, and 4) demonstrate the ability to discuss scientific research projects with scientists to determine program needs.
• Program management includes responsibility for paid (stipend) programs and other activities that involve an average of 2000 participants per year and an equal number of mentors. Many administrative activities are required to successfully implement and manage programs. Examples include: 1) planning staff work activities and resources to meet business objectives including sponsor requirements and agreed upon deliverables, 2) maintaining quality control to meet customer, sponsor, and institutional policies and procedures, 3) identifying and solving problems, and 4) establishing and maintaining effective relationships internally within ORAU and externally with sponsors, universities, and other stakeholders.
• The Manager 3 Education will foster a commitment to excellence in personnel management by promoting our institutional culture and values and through organization-wide leadership standards. Doing so will require effective leadership and management to a staff of 15 to 30 individuals with scientific, academic, military, and business backgrounds and to convey organizational and group direction and assist staff in motivating and maximizing their contributions to the team. Finding, hiring, developing, empowering, and retaining peak performers is essential.
• The Manager 3 Education provides leadership in administering ~$50-60 million in annual revenue. To be successful, one will need to oversee the operating budget and control expenditures in accordance with agreed upon deliverables and institutional requirements. This position holds the primary delegation of authority to approve research appointments, travel, stipend authorizations, and other programmatic expenditures for Belcamp, Maryland programs.
Other Related Duties
• The Manager 3 Education has the privilege of leading the Belcamp, Maryland location but will work collaboratively with SAWD leadership on projects assigned to them by senior leadership.
Bachelor’s degree in business, scientific, technical, education or related field and more than 10 years’ of job related experience required. An equivalent combination of education and experience performing duties as described may be substituted for the minimum requirements. Master’s or higher degree preferred.
The successful candidate will have a strong record of achievement and performance in one of the following fields: 1) academic, 2) scientific, 3) business or 4) military or a combination of any. Leadership, program management, and the ability to lead an offsite location in harmony with the home office are key responsibilities.
Other relevant experience needed to meet the demands of this position includes:
• Experience with strategic planning, financial management, human resource management, project management and risk management.
• Ability to interact with diverse groups of individuals from different educational and cultural backgrounds.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with staff and leadership in Oak Ridge from an offsite location.
• Ability and willingness to engage in business development activities such as writing proposals, identifying potential clients and opportunities, and developing outreach efforts.
• Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
• Organizing and managing multiple projects and tasks.
• Ability to use commercially available and custom software programs for daily business communications, presentations, data analysis, report preparation, and other functions.