SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.Job Description
This position is accountable for the successful and profitable management of projects and for clear, concise verbal and written communication with colleagues and clients. This position may schedule, supervise and coordinate project activities and have other professionals, technologists and technicians reporting to it.
- Manages mineralogical projects to optimize client satisfaction and project profitability.
- Plans, organizes and coordinates laboratory projects.
- May monitor production to ensure optimum staff levels/shifts to achieve superior standards for production, quality and financial performance.
- Establishes methods to meet work schedules and coordinates work activities with other Professionals and Project Managers.
- Ensures the proper use of all facilities, instruments and equipment used during a project.
- Peer review colleague’s mineralogical reports for technical content, readability and grammatical structure.
- Provides process mineralogical context to output from optical and automated (QEMSCAN, SEM-EDS, and XRD) mineralogical studies, and provides Quality Control on the output through mineralogical balances and assay reconciliation checks and validation, and using parallel mineralogical tools for validation purposes.
- Responsible for quality and timely completion of technical reports, and related invoicing.
- Develops new business opportunities through industry contact and research (ex. reading trade magazines, reviewing industry press releases).
- Explores commercial opportunities for growth in mineralogical services with SGS Minerals in Canada.
- Develops new business by maintaining good relationships with clients and identifying and addressing, in a timely fashion, their needs.
- Develops proposals from direction provided by the leader of the Mineralogy group in Canada.
- Develops promotional material.
- Writes technical articles for public presentation or publishing.
- Promotes the capabilities, facilities, personnel and experience of SGS and SGS Minerals in Canada and elsewhere.
- Constructively resolves work problems where they arise and recommends work measures to improve productivity and the quality of results.
- Mentoring of junior staff both technical and professional, on both technical content and processes, and report writing.
- Assists in the training of staff in job duties, safety procedures and company policies.
- Assists in creating a team approach and spirit whenever practical using available sources of knowledge and experience.
- Ensure that work is done in accordance with all appropriate health, safety and environmental procedures.
- May be assigned and coordinate special or ad hoc projects as needed, including technical improvements and advances through new methods, procedures and analytical techniques.
- A four year university degree in Mineralogy, Geology, Environmental Mineralogy, Soil Science or Earth Sciences is required.
- 8 - 10 years of previous working experience (or equivalent) in a mineralogy related field.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in mineralogical instrument based applications and consulting.
- Previous experience in managing and training of junior/technical staff is required.
- The ideal candidate will have experience in performing a wide-variety of microscope and instrument-based mineralogical studies for base metal, precious metal, industrial mineral, environmental mineralogy or REE mineralogy projects supported by various instrumentation including X-ray diffraction, image analysis, SEM-EDS analysis, electron microprobe and QEMSCAN.
- Experience in the area of industrial mineralogy (cement, alloys, castings, refractories, high-tech metals) is a definite asset.
- Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
- Candidates must be proficient in using various type of computer software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.) in addition to supporting software systems for various mineralogical instruments.
- A solid understanding of LIMS (Laboratory Management System) and Oracle systems is an asset.
- Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment.
- Ability to interpret data from a variety of automated applications (QEMSCAN, SEM-EDS, XRD, EMPA, SIMS, etc) and apply it to various projects.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition.
- Ability to work well with others & independently.
- Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call
for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.