The University of Iowa Security and Door Systems Specialist position located within the Department of Public Safety’s Key & Access Services division will utilize specialized expertise in security management systems (electronic door access, video surveillance, intrusion detection systems), doors, door hardware, and keying systems. This position will serve as the primary resource and expert for issues and questions regarding these areas; review and prioritize requests for new systems, modifications to existing systems, and repair/replacement requests; coordinate work efforts of specialized technical personnel involved with the repair/replacement of these systems, and; make recommendations for changes to procedures and processes. Specifically, this includes but is not limited to design, project review, construction support and commissioning for major construction projects and/or repairs to existing systems.
Duties to Include:
- Acts as program manager for physical security design and implementation.
- Project management and/or coordination of highly specialized system modifications and installations.
- Participate in the preparation of architectural and/or engineering specifications and design standards, providing consultation related to access control and security systems.
- Review of architectural and engineering drawings, including developing design solutions, reviewing consulting concepts, and review/identify inconsistencies with proposed architectural and engineering drawings, including schematics, sketches, layouts and detail drawings.
- Decide on selection of materials and equipment for access control and security systems. Provide technical expertise to design professionals and building occupants. Recommend changes to design standards working with design professionals, Key and Access Services and customers.
- Create building master key systems and serving as consultant on specialized facility systems ensuring proposed solutions meet the needs of the customer.
- Verify compliance with Design Standards and review compliance with Building and Life Safety Codes. Reviews submittal to ensure compliance with project documents, Design Standards and customer needs.
- Verify and commission system installations, confirming that installation aligns with project documents and is operational.
- Develop cost estimates; develop and monitor project budgets and manage funding allocations.
- Maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, design professionals, and contractors.
Location: University Capitol Centre
Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm
Pay: $54,000 to commensurate
For a full job description, please send an e-mail to the contact listed below.
About Key & Access Services:
The Key Services Shop is responsible for the security of all building doors, safes, vaults, files and locking devices, and grand master key systems through installation, maintenance and repair of a wide range of locking mechanisms and related hardware.
- A Bachelor of Science degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience (typically a minimum of 3 years) in engineering, keying systems, or door access systems.
- Experience setting up master key systems.
- Demonstrated ability to read and comprehend construction documents
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be proficient in computer software applications such as Microsoft Office- Outlook, Excel, Word, Access
- Ability to work with a diverse group of staff at all levels of an organization
- Valid driver’s license and ability to meet UI Driving Policy.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, computer science or business
- Experience 5 or more years in engineering, keying systems, or door access systems
- Experience with electronic door access systems.
- Experience with security and/or video surveillance systems.
- Door Security and Safety Professionals certification including AHC, DHC, DHSC, ACSC or AOC.
Position and Application Details:
In order to be considered for an interview, applicants must upload the following documents and mark them as a “Relevant File” to the submission:
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check including fingerprinting and driver’s license verification. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
For additional questions, please contact Brooke McMurl at [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Security and Door Systems Specialist or
- Classification Title: Facilities Svcs Specialist
- Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
- Schedule: Full-time
Equal opportunity/affirmative action employer
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Persons with disabilities who need assistance or accommodations with the application or interview process may contact University Human Resources/Faculty and Staff Disability Services,
or [ Link removed ] - Click here to apply to Security and Door Systems Specialist
. For jobs in UI Health care, please contact UI Health care Leave & Disability Administration at
- Access Controls
- Architectural Drawing
- Customer Demand Planning