ABOUT POET RESEARCH INC.
At POET Research Inc., our vision is to discover and deliver a robust portfolio of high value process and product innovations that utilize renewable resources as effectively as possible.
POET Process Development Engineers turn dreams and back-of-the napkin ideas into real life commercialized solutions. From idea generation to experiment design to pilot scale trials that progress to commercialization, our Process Development Engineers work with the industry’s best to create valuable technology for POET.
THIS JOB MAY BE FOR YOU IF\u2026
- You enjoy solving problems. You don’t get flustered when things don’t go according to plan. You love taking on challenges and finding creative solutions.
- You are a curious individual, you’re not afraid to ask questions as you’re always looking to improve and understand how things work.
- You love getting your hands dirty and learning how things work.
- You communicate effectively with sound technical writing abilities. You can explain complicated engineering terminology to a non-technical audience in a way they understand.
- You pay attention to the details. For you, anything worth doing is worth doing right, every time.
- You’re a learner. You’re not afraid of taking on new things and stretching yourself.
A TYPICAL DAY (if there is one\u2026)
- Design projects, set up and run experiments that solve critical business issues or have the potential to progress POET’s commercial goals.
- Work with (and in!) a multitude of different scientific and engineering disciplines.
- Generate, compile and analyze data, lots and lots of data!
- Translate results and recommendations to diverse audiences in a way that everyone can understand.
- Investigate new opportunities related to business needs.
- Since we’re all about teamwork and getting the job done, your skills may be put use to helping other team member’s projects or experiments!
- Degree, or equivalent work experience, in Chemical Engineering, Biosystems Engineering, Agricultural & Biological Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Biochemistry or similar field of study.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs to write emails, conduct research, write experiments, present scientific findings.
- Specialized training and/or certifications in a related field.
- Specific knowledge of bio-based technologies and development processes.
- Knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices and procedures within process engineering in a production plant utilizing agricultural feedstock.
- Experience with DCS control, simulation software (ChemCad/Aspen), LIMS, SharePoint, Maximo and other software programs.
GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES WITHIN POET
At POET Research Inc., we believe in recognizing team member contributions as they add value to the organization. Team member skills and contributions are frequently assessed and recognized through salary increases and title progression. New team member titles and pay are determined considering their qualifications.
- Culture is king at POET. We’re all on the same team. We always communicate. And we park our egos at the door. These aren’t just slogans on our walls. It’s our code.
- We foster a culture of safe behavior at all times and in all environments, no exceptions.
- Most work will be in a bioprocessing plant environment, with some work at a desk or in a laboratory environment. This could include:
- Exposure to different environments (cold, heat, climbing to heights, confined spaces, etc.) when working at the plants.
- Performing mechanical repair/maintenance of equipment.
- Wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while working with chemicals or in dusty environments.
- Working at a computer for extended periods.
- Standing at the lab bench for extended periods.
- Regularly bending, twisting and turning while lifting weights up to ten (10) pounds. Occasionally you may need to do this with heavier items, up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Occasionally lifting weights greater than fifty (50) pounds with assistance.
- You may have occasional travel of up to 25% of your time to attend conferences, collaboration meetings, or support POET entities in the implementation of your projects or experiments. POET values work life balance and is intentional about your time spent away from home.
- We are a team and support each other in our work and play! Team members have the opportunity to participate in POET sponsored volunteer opportunities and community events, as well as sharing hobbies with coworkers!
To review a complete job description click here.
POET is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.
Personal Protective Equipment