Collins Aerospace is seeking a RF Engineer to support the GLOBALink Systems and Network Engineering team (GLE) located in Annapolis, Maryland.
The RF Engineer will perform RF system and protocol design, develop performance specifications and Interface definitions for vendor data and voice radios, test vendor radios against specifications, and troubleshoot RF performance problems in support of the Collins’ GLOBALink world-wide aviation Datalink service. This service provides critical air/ground data communications for airlines and business aviation enabling aircraft computers to exchange information with ground based computers anywhere in the world using VHF, HF, cellular, and satellite.
The GLOBALink system utilizes thousands of VHF and HF ground stations. Radios are typically sourced from outside vendors. This RF Engineer will support the integration of new radios and new RF data communication services by:
•Developing and analyzing RF system requirements
•Documenting operational scenarios
•Developing RF protocols
•Working with industry standards organizations to institutionalize RF protocols
•Coordinating with other ARINC teams and external customers and agencies
•Developing test plans and testing radio performance in the lab and field
•Providing occasional post-fielding performance analysis and troubleshooting
GLE is an SEI/CMM Level 3 certified engineering organization, so this engineer is expected to follow relevant engineering processes.
All candidates must demonstrate:
- 12 or more years of engineering experience with at least 5 years concentrated in RF engineering
- Experience creating detailed radio specifications
- Experience testing radio performance and generating test reports
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Experience demonstrating teamwork and collaboration.
- Understanding of link budget analysis
- Understanding of Analog and digital modulation
- Knowledge of digital signal processing
- Experience producing specifications for radio systems and their interfaces
- Experience using lab equipment such as signal generators, spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, etc.
- Understanding of link layer protocol
- Understanding of error detection and correction such as Reed Solomon codes
Education or Certification requirements
Required: Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or Information Systems
Desired: Masters in Electrical Engineering
Candidate with the following experience are preferred:
- HF communication
- Data communication over RF
- High availability system design
- Aviation RF data and voice communication
Radio Frequency Engineering
Digital Signal Processing