DocASAP, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, is a high-performing startup that is optimizing the health care industry by transforming 1.1 million providers into one streamlined system that reduces wait times for patients so they can get access to care when they need it. Our CEO championed this initiative after waiting hours in an emergency room with his son. We are actively reducing wait times across providers as our company grows thanks to our team’s positive attitude and strong family spirit. At DocASAP, we know happiness and productivity go together. We offer flexible working hours in a performance driven environment. Challenge yourself by shaping what health care looks like while doing your life’s best work.(sm)
As a Director of Software Engineering, you'll work on everything from customer-facing web applications using cutting-edge open-source frameworks, to highly available RESTful microservices, to back-end Java based systems using the hottest techniques in Big Data. You'll bring solid experience in emerging and traditional technologies such as: Java, GO, AngularJS, React, Python, REST, JSON, XML, Ruby, Perl, NoSQL databases, relational databases and AWS / Cloud Infrastructure to name a few.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from Herndon, VA as you take on some tough challenges.
- Lead and manage the teams of software engineers and QAs
- Work with client teams and product managers to understand the key needs of new and existing features to plan the work with Engineering team in India
- Coordinate Release Planning, release management by discussing with relevant stakeholders across client and product teams
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of engineers on your team
- Work with Support and Operations leaders to ensure that Engineering SLAs are met and escalations are managed effectively
- Work within and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions across a full-stack of development tools and technologies
- Lead the craftsmanship, availability, resilience, and scalability of your solutions
- Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and mentor other members of the engineering community
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity
- Work across to improve the velocity of your and other teams
- Lead efforts to deploy new and existing applications into AWS environments
- Break existing monolithic applications into micro service architectures and build new microservices
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 10+ years of experience in software development
- 4+ years of experience in people management
- 4+ years of experience with architecture design
- 2+ years of experience in Agile practices
- You will be asked to perform this role in an office setting, however, may be required to work from home temporarily due to space limitations
- Employees are required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener prior to entering the work site each day, in order to keep our work sites safe. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: Optum is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Optum is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Director of Engineering, Engineering Director, Software Engineering, Software Engineer, Software Development, Software Developer, People Management, Architecture Design, Agile, DocASAP, Herndon, VA, Virginia