* Job Type: Officer of Administration
* Regular/Temporary: Regular
* Hours Per Week: 35
* Salary Range: $61,500 - $75,000 annually
The salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to departmental budgets, qualifications, experience, education, licenses, specialty, and training. The above hiring range represents the University's good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
The Assistant Director for Instructional Design will work directly with instructors at the Columbia Business School (CBS) to address complex teaching and learning issues related to instructional design for current and newly-created courses. In group workshops and individual faculty consultations, the Assistant Director will promote quality standards, high-impact educational practices, and the effective use of technology for teaching and learning. The Assistant Director will report to the Director of Learning Platforms and Innovation.
Course Development and Teaching Innovation
* Work with faculty to articulate and manage learning objectives and assessment criteria for courses and programs.
* Work with faculty subject matter experts and other team members to manage and adapt resources that meet course goals and objectives.
* Work with faculty to apply educational practices and technology to specific learning or teaching problems.
* Utilize metrics and methods to evaluate the impact of courses, working closely with the Director.
* Conduct course reviews and offer recommendations for improving courses, programs, and overall teaching and learning experience.
* Stay current on accessibility standards and be comfortable working with the Director to assist with designing content, as needed.
* Work with the Director to engage in ongoing research to identify learning theory, pedagogical best practices, and technologies to improve courses.
* Stay abreast of emerging instructional technologies and evolving educational practice and design standards.
* Support all CBS learning platforms.
Faculty Development and Training
* Work with the Director to design and develop high-quality on-demand support resources, including training guides and videos.
* Work with the Director to create and conduct remote and in-person training sessions, coaching consultations, and session follow-ups to address faculty course design and educational technology needs.
* Manage innovative digital learning experiences from ideation to launch, aligning content presentation and technical strategy with the course or program outcomes.
Other duties as needed.
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent required. 2 - 4 years of post-college work experience in instructional design or a related field.
* Strong interpersonal skills and sound judgment are required. Ability to collaborate effectively with administrators, academic units, faculty, graduate students, technical teams, and other staff. Must work independently, follow through on details, and demonstrate presentation, written, and oral communication skills. Ability to apply the instructional design process, including needs assessment, instructional problems, learner characteristics, task analysis, instructional objectives, content sequencing, instructional strategies and resources, evaluation instruments, and formative and summative evaluation. Knowledge of teaching and learning strategies to promote active learning, evidence-based practices, critical thinking, and the use of technology to enhance student success. Familiarity with Learning Management Systems (Canvas preferred) and other common learning platforms. Demonstrated commitment to diversity in the academic environment required.
* Relevant instructional design training or experience preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
- Critical Thinking
- Faculty Development
- Instructional Design
- Interpersonal Skills
- Job Analysis