GMS is the leading North American distributor of gypsum wallboard, acoustical ceiling products and other specialty building materials. Founded in 1971, GMS now operates a network of more than 250 distribution centers nationwide. For more information about GMS, visit www.gms.com or any one of our subsidiary company websites.
Summary of Position:
The primary function of the Operations Trainee is to be responsible for learning all functional areas necessary to operate and manage a given branch. These functional areas will range from purchasing and inventory to basic accounting and billing, office administrative duties and general maintenance.
Duties & Responsibilities:
* Maintain appropriate inventory levels in the yard, controlling shrinkage and damaged inventory
* Assist with inventory management, control shrinkage, monthly cycle counting and close out procedures
* Oversee that all delivery personnel adhere to OSHA and GMS policies while working in the warehouse and at the jobsite
* Oversee the cleanliness and maintenance of warehouse and yard areas
* Always maintain open and clear lines of communication with customers, informing them of any issues related to their order & delivery if they should arise
* Collaborate across departments to drive optimal productivity; foster an environment in which diverse backgrounds are respected and valued
* Work closely with the Operation or Warehouse Manager to direct the activities that concern delivery, warehouse and facilities
* Assist with safety training and perform weekly and monthly management safety reviews.
* Work closely with the operations and related dispatch technology to assign and schedule materials to appropriate trucks to optimize delivery efficiencies
* Verify order accuracies by examining invoices and confirming truck loads match while following OSHA & DOT safety and compliance guidelines for transportation.
* Maintain receiving, warehouse and distribution operations by initiating, coordinating and enforcing program, operational, and personnel policies and procedures
* Ability to self-manage, show initiative and be proactive
* Communicate professionally, both verbally and in writing to coworkers and customers
* Able to work in a fast-paced, building materials distribution yard
* Ability to interpret customer needs, assess requirements and identify solutions
* Strong verbal communication skills
* Ability to organize work and manage time
* Minimum 3 years of related work experience
* Strong Microsoft office skills
* Must be able to remain in stationary position 70%
* Occasionally, will move about inside the office to access files, office machinery, etc.
* Must be able to operate basic office machinery
* Must be able to communicate with team and management and be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
* Constantly working in office environment
* Must be able to problem solve and prioritize tasks
* Must be able to manage stress depending on tasks
* Must be able to multitask
* Must be able to receive and analyze operations information
* Must be able to quickly communicate solutions if problems occur
* Must be able to demonstrate a high degree of sound judgement
* Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability & Life Insurance
* Paid holidays & vacation days
This job description is subject to change at any time.
Launch your career with a national building materials distributor and discover opportunities for growth and advancement. Our people have the independence and authority to make a difference. We invest in relationships, and every person is important. Our highest priority is serving others. We passionately pursue a safe work environment along with a relentless focus on operational excellence. We believe you can never go wrong doing the right thing.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
- Building Materials
- Customer Demand Planning