Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
The Coding Supervisor is responsible for overseeing the performance of lead and medical coders and ensuring adherence of all department and company policies and procedures. The supervisor assists with hiring, training, assigning work, and performance management of staff. This position requires occasional travel to provide on-site coding education to the providers and clinical staff and assistance with special projects as needed. The Supervisor is responsible for daily review and proper assignment of International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD-10-CM), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), modifiers, and Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) codes to inpatient, outpatient, surgical procedures and evaluation and management services.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Ensures that medical coders are trained, knowledgeable and consistently adhering to key responsibilities relevant to job description (25%)
- Training new employees
- Perform ongoing training and education as needed
- Conduct billing audits to ensure the accuracy of the coding team and re-train and/or initiate coaching if necessary
- Monitor daily workload to ensure that charges are coming over in a timely manner (30%)
- Ensure that manual charges are coming through Billing Support and AlertMD on a daily basis without interruption
- Ensure that all WQ charges are flowing into the WQ’S daily without interruption
- Responsible for alerting proper parties if any interruptions are discovered
- Analyze hospital and office progress notes, procedural and operative records to identify and independently assign accurate ICD and CPT/HCPCS codes while adhering to ICD-10-CM, CPT and all appropriate government coding guidelines, in addition to adhering to all Boncura/DMG coding/billing policies and procedures. (10%)
- Resolve Pre-AR edits in practice management system by applying the aforementioned rules, policies and procedures.
- Abstracts pertinent information into the billing system accurately and timely.
- Maintains compliance with Federal, State and Payer regulations.
- Serves as a subject matter expert (SME) to Coding Shared Services team and clinicians as needed. (10%)
- Keeps abreast of current coding changes, documentation requirements and payer policies within designated specialty.
- Demonstrates the ability to educate/train coding staff, physicians and nurses as needed.
- Assist with coding denials received from payers. (10%)
- Identify denial trends and educate coding team and/or request system edits as needed
- Assist with charge capture initiatives by monitoring services performed to assure all encounters are captured (DAR reports, charge capture reports, etc.), coded and billed within timeframes established by Boncura. (5%)
- Monitor all WQ’S to ensure that charges are being worked in a timely fashion and alert management team as needed if any concerns are identified.
- Monitor Alert MD to ensure all charges are captured and reports are worked.
- Attends meetings and training by traveling to provider and business locations as needed. (5%)
- Handles human resource functions are it relations to (5%)
- Processing payroll
- Reviews and approves time off requests
- Performs annual introductory and annual performance appraisals for your assigned team
Direct reports include front line staff of 20 – 25 FTE
- Good problem-solving skills
- Detail oriented
- Communicates effectively
- Ability to collaborate with cross functional teams and departments
- Able to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a continuously changing environment, flexible
- Ability to maintain strictest confidentiality; adheres to all HIPAA guidelines/regulations
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School diploma
- Must be certified in at least 1 of the following:
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) certification
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS).
- 7 years’ experience in multi-specialty physician coding or expert in single specialty physician coding.
- 7 years’ experience of physician coding and billing rules and guidelines.
- 5 years leadership experience
- 7 years of experience with ICD-10, CPT and HCPCS.
- 7 years of experience medical terminology.
- 7 years of experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- 7 years of experience of Explanation of Benefits and CMS 1500 form.
- 7 years of experience with research, analyze, interpret, and abstract data/documentation
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas, In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements in this job description are intended to describe the nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
UnitedHealth Group is an essential business. The health and safety of our team members is our highest priority, so we are taking a science driven approach to slowly welcome and transition some of our workforce back to the office with many safety protocols in place. We continue to monitor and assess before we confirm the return of each wave, paying specific attention to geography-specific trends. At this time, 90% of our non-clinical workforce transitioned to a work at home (remote) status. We have taken steps to ensure the safety of our 325,000 team members and their families, providing them with resources and support as they continue to serve the members, patients and customers who depend on us.
You can learn more about all we are doing to fight COVID-19 and support impacted communities at: click here.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $53,300 to $95,100. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Coding Supervisor, Reimbursement Supervisor, Lead, Team Leader, Coding, Billing, Naperville, Illinois, work at home, work from home, WAH, WFH, remote, telecommute, hiring immediately, #RPO